Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » BB Guns » Good squirrel hunting bb gun?
Good squirrel hunting bb gun? 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:56 am Reply with quote
Squirrelfanatic
So I have a .22 and a 30-30, but I need something for my backyard. I love nothing more than to get a good squirrel once in a while, I don't go crazy. I need a fair priced bb gun (preferably under 75) that won't break down on me. I have a powerline 990 which is just about in pieces now. The barrel fell out on me today when I tryed to shoot it. I would rather a pump so I don't have to buy cartridges and worry about running out, but I will take C02 if it gets good shots per cartridge. Also I would rather it shoot pellets but bb's are cool too. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:15 am Reply with quote
mod90
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Your gun selection would be dependent on a few factors, like the range you'll be shooting from and type and size of game to be hunted. That said, I personally would never hunt with a BB gun, due to insufficient power & accuracy issues. That being said, you could try the Crosman 760. Or even a break barrel rifle.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:42 am Reply with quote
Jr. Squirreler
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You should never hunt with a bb gun. If you want a BB Gun, for your budget is low, you could buy a Refurbished break barrel for about $60. Hunting with Pellets is preferred because, first BB's aren't as accurate. Second, BB guns are usually lower powered out of the box, and produce lower FPE. Also, BB's are small, and dont expand, therefore they dont really provide big channel wounds.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Right. No BBs. Be humane.
For under $75 I would get a Daisy 880 and shoot only round nosed or pointed hunting type lead pellets at shorter range with the full 10 pumps. (Not over about 20 yards.) It can do the job for squirrels. About $45.

For $25 more than preferred budget, I would get a Beeman Grizzly X2 (AKA RS2 or model 1073) dual caliber break barrel air rifle from Walmart. These are good hunters, especially with the .22 barrel fitted. Use a little locktite blue to keep the barrel from working loose, mount the scope that comes with it, and practice, practice. These spring-air rifles need to be held very loosely and relaxed the same way each time to hit the same point of aim each shot and you may not be used to that. But this rifle would serve you well when you find the pellets it likes (try Crosman Premier) and get a bit of practice. For $98 it can't be beaten, in my opinion for all kinds of small game and casual targets-plinking.

-Rob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Squirrelfanatic
I decided on a cheap Powerline 35. I got some destroyer ex pellets and got a real nice clean kill with it. I know whats humane and whats not. I hunt deer so I know about guns. I get close to squirrels so I can get a good shot and so there's no suffering.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:32 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Cool. Sounds like you got a good one to do the job.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote
Crosman140
Squirrelfanatic wrote:
I decided on a cheap Powerline 35. I got some destroyer ex pellets and got a real nice clean kill with it. I know whats humane and whats not. I hunt deer so I know about guns. I get close to squirrels so I can get a good shot and so there's no suffering.

Nice choice. I've had a Daisy 880 (I'm on my second one now) for probably 30 years and just love it.

Your 35 is a nice close cousin to the 880. You won't regret your choice.

My 880 pumps very easy and is my quietest airgun I own.

.177 Crosman 1377 (2009)
.177 Daisy 880 (2019)
BB Daisy Red Ryder (2012)
BB Daisy Buck (2019)
BB Crosman 1600 (1980)
BB Marksman 1010 (1979)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Daisy makes nice air rifles in the under $75 price range.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
SureShot_ca
Myself I would have gotten a Crosman 1377 with a shoulder stock. Or better yet a CO2 powered model like the Crosman 3576. Both are accurate pellet airguns and at short ranges deadly on small critters but not rabbits.

What you you fellows think is the more deadly caliber? .177 or .22?
I would think .22 since the pellet has more mass.

Crosman 3576 (0.177)
Crosman 1377 (0.177)
Elite II (0.177)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:46 am Reply with quote
Crosman140
SureShot_ca wrote:
Myself I would have gotten a Crosman 1377 with a shoulder stock. Or better yet a CO2 powered model like the Crosman 3576. Both are accurate pellet airguns and at short ranges deadly on small critters but not rabbits.

What you you fellows think is the more deadly caliber? .177 or .22?
I would think .22 since the pellet has more mass.

The .22 has more potential if it is traveling fast enough. It is heavier and broader, so if it is going fast enough, it has the potential to have more ft lbs of energy and create a larger hole.

But that said, my 880, G1 and 1377 will do just fine on rabbits, squirrels and birds. They are all .177.

.177 Crosman 1377 (2009)
.177 Daisy 880 (2019)
BB Daisy Red Ryder (2012)
BB Daisy Buck (2019)
BB Crosman 1600 (1980)
BB Marksman 1010 (1979)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:09 am Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Yes, there are a lot of variables. Assuming two rifles that shoot as easily and accurately as each other--one in each caliber, I like the .22 for hunting in rifles at or over about 12-13 FPE muzzle energy for knockdown power. Less than that, I go with .177 for flat trajectory and penetration at the lower energy levels. Both will do, but perhaps .20 (5mm) is the best of both world for most game. I'm surprised it hasn't pretty much taken over the market by now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:49 pm Reply with quote
DavidSaunders
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Squirrelfanatic wrote:

Decent choice. The 880 and 35 have almost identical power plants. Though the 35 is a smoothbore long gun, while the 880 is a rifle.

I have done a lot of hunting with my 880's.

If I would have stumbled on this thread before you made your choice I would have recommended looking at the used stuff and waiting till you find a Crosman 101 or 140 in your price range, these will give you the power you need for squirrel out to 35 yards on 4 pumps, at full power you could go beyond 100 yards (if you are a good enough shot) with the Crosman 140 or Crosman 101 for rabbit and squirrel. These would also have opened up some of the larger small game for safe humane hunting.
Good squirrel hunting bb gun? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » BB Guns