Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » chamber oil Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
chamber oil 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:55 am Reply with quote
Jeremy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 19 May 2010
Posts: 154
Hi Guys

I need to pick up some chamber oil and cant find the crossman chmaber oil around here but can get the RWS chamber oil easy, thats a safe alternative correct?

Cheers

Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:22 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
The RWS product would work fine. Usually, however, it is generally more expensive than the Crosman product- but is essentially the same thing.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2444
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
It's a silicone lube.

You could use any generic that is 100% silicone, with no petroleum distillates (particularly propellants or thinners).

When I rebuilt my D34 and Super Streak I took the risk and used an aerosol silicone lube. However, I let it sit for 24 hours before adding the pistons back in. That let the petroleum(s) evaporate.

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Jeremy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 19 May 2010
Posts: 154
thanks guys , I shouldnt use chamber oil on the cocking lever though right? should use spring oil for that? Smile
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Dukemeister
Member
Member
Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Posts: 92
Location: Ontario, Canada
Jeremy wrote:
thanks guys , I shouldnt use chamber oil on the cocking lever though right? should use spring oil for that? Smile

Metal to metal, use moly or non-detergent straight weight SAE30, or a mixture of both. Never use silicone oil on metal to metal -it will gall.

_________________
Duke ))))----//----------==
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Jeremy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 19 May 2010
Posts: 154
cheers duke Smile but isnt chamber oil silicone also?? and thats metal to metal in the combustion chamber right?
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
Jeremy wrote:
thats metal to metal in the combustion chamber right?


No piston seal in a modern airgun I am aware of is made of metal- so no, there is no metal-metal lubrication going on there.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 2444
Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia
What he said

Piston seal is a rubber/synthetic. A petroleum based lubricant will degrade this over time. Silicone, will not.

For all of the metal-metal contacts I use automotive white lithium grease. The spring being an exception, where I use JM's moly tar, which is likely a 60% moly grease that he charges an extra 150% for. I also wiped a near invisible film on the piston (what was left on my gloves after lubing spring), before installation. Of course this was done avoiding the seal.

_________________
"I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Jeremy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 19 May 2010
Posts: 154
hi again guys

Old topic, new question.

After you apply a couple drops of chamber oil to the compression port do you guys shoot a handful of pellets then run a dry patch back through the barrel? is that necessary?

Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 1183
Location: Just south of "Out There"- Land O Lakes Ontario
Jeremy

That's really a personal choice. It's not necessary.

I do because I know the POI will shift after I lube the piston seal so why not give the barrel a wipe at the same time.

BTW you can get a lot of maintenance items from scopes and ammo in Perth. The guy who runs the place is pretty cool Wink

http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/index.php/airgun-parts-custom-service-airgun-maintenance-items-c-38_50

_________________
Sean
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
One thing most people don't think of is spreading the lube around the seal. Put a couple drops through the transfer port- sit the rifle on the floor on its butt- muzzle up, let the oil run downward into the chamber. After 15 minutes or so, cock the rifle but don't cock the rifle-you can do this by only using half-strokes- i.e. move the barrel and thus the piston up and down the chamber a few times to get the lube on the seal (hopefully around the entire seal).

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:07 am Reply with quote
Jeremy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 19 May 2010
Posts: 154
SMP wrote:
Jeremy

That's really a personal choice. It's not necessary.

I do because I know the POI will shift after I lube the piston seal so why not give the barrel a wipe at the same time.

BTW you can get a lot of maintenance items from scopes and ammo in Perth. The guy who runs the place is pretty cool Wink

http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/index.php/airgun-parts-custom-service-airgun-maintenance-items-c-38_50


Yes I have shopped there a few times, he is a good guy Wink
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
roofer
New Member
New Member
Joined: 05 Nov 2011
Posts: 4
Location: Ontario
Hey Guys
New guy here, not so new to airguns though. Have been shooting them on and off for about 24 years since i was 13.
Have learned a lot over the years, like home tuning rifles.
Unless your particular rifle has a leather seal, you should never add any kind of oil to the transfer port. It will burn out the seals and if you get detonation from the lubricants you can blow the seal or break a spring. I have done both quite a bit until I learned how to tune them Right.

Just passing along info I have learned. By the way great forum and glad to be here.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:29 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
roofer wrote:
Hey Guys
New guy here, not so new to airguns though. Have been shooting them on and off for about 24 years since i was 13.
Have learned a lot over the years, like home tuning rifles.
Unless your particular rifle has a leather seal, you should never add any kind of oil to the transfer port. It will burn out the seals and if you get detonation from the lubricants you can blow the seal or break a spring. I have done both quite a bit until I learned how to tune them Right.

Just passing along info I have learned. By the way great forum and glad to be here.


Actually- just to fill you in- we have a large number of people here who are well beyond "tuning" guns- machinists, craftsman and extreme hobbyists who have spend scores or hundred of hours learning things hands-on and reading encyclopedias worth of information on paper and online. Others may represent repair facilities authorized by some of the airgun manufacturers. Others still may have torn the same springer apart 50 times to learn everything the "hard way" but nonetheless learned.

In order to save you some time; springers up until about 20 years ago did use leather seals and typically did not achieve power much beyond 6.5fpe/600fps in .177, so leaky leather seals on most guns excluding the higher-end products could hardly generate enough compression heat to ignite gasoline, let along the heavier-viscosity oils recommended for lubing the seals.

Springers now (excluding a couple of the lowest-end Chinese products) use urethane seals, if lubed with a non-combustible lubricant (100% silicone oil) can achieve power levels of 25+fpe and generate alot more heat with alot less leakage- so yes, a petroleum-based lube would be bad news.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:08 am Reply with quote
Jeremy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 19 May 2010
Posts: 154
welcome to the forum roofer Smile

And I think Eric is right on this one, all of the manuals I have for my spring rifles recommend putting chamber oil ( eg, crosman Silicone chamber oil, RWS chamber oil ) in to the compression port every few hundred pellets.

I have one of my dads old pellet rifles and it still has a leather seal and still shoots pretty good, I have been using silicone chamber oil in it for a few years. Hell when they were kids they would lube it with anything they could find Razz I bet that rifle is close to 50 years old
View user's profile Send private message
chamber oil 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 2  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.