Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pellets/Ammo » Crosman Premier Field Target
Crosman Premier Field Target 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:49 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Premier Field target ( the ones in the cardboard box)
I have noticed that you never see any talk about these pellets so I decided to get a box each in 177 and 22 from Eric.

Normally I shoot JSB's for anything serious because they perform anywhere from very good to the best in all my guns.

My initial impression was that they are very nicely formed and consistent. They obviously have a very light lubricant on them. My fingers tell me its silicone or stearate.
The second thing I noted is they are very very snug fitting. It takes a heavy push to get one in the breach. so if anyone has a particular gun the prefers a snug fitting pellet this may be worth a try.

This evening I finally got a chance to fire some downrange and I have to say I'm impressed with the performance. They are certainly so close that I'm going to have to have a pellet smackdown against the jsb's

Hands down though these pellets are outperforming the regular tinned premiers in two rifles that I've tried. My only complaint is they don't have a wadcutter in this line

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Actually they use semi-dry graphite as a lubricant during swagging. I think that's how you spell it anyway. lol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Funny Im not seeing graph on my fingers and it's leaving a "moisturizer" sheen...either way it feels odd after 20 shots Mr. Green

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
The cardboard boxes are the Crosman 'A' grade stuff- everything else is, well, not necessarily. That's not to say the other stuff is bad- but the same level of QC isn't necessarily applied to them as the cardboard-box premiers.

They made them with the intent of Field Target use- so no wadcutters, pointed or hollow point are available in this format, unfortunately. If they did, they might be good sellers (except for the 'big box' stores- which is well over half of Crosman's business in my estimate).

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
sniper
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I went thru one box of 10.5 grainers in .177 about 4 years ago. They were a very consistent run, and pricy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:28 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
sniper wrote:
...and pricy.

When compared to other domestic manufacturers- they are. But when lined up against some of the European imports- not so much, really.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:39 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
hahaha funny I actually did the math

I'm paying 0.04 for Jsb's and 0.039984 for the Premier FT's in .22

Thanks Eric they are nice pellets. And agreed I think wads would be good sellers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:52 pm Reply with quote
sniper
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
AirGunEric wrote:
sniper wrote:
...and pricy.

When compared to other domestic manufacturers- they are. But when lined up against some of the European imports- not so much, really.

True, I'm forever in the pursuit of the cheapest pellet that flies straight. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
jcerne2
Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum. My FWB 124 does really well with the Crosman Premier Field Target 10.5 gr. Please see below a bunch of 5-shot groups shot at 10m. I also tried sizing the CPFT (green circles) but that didn't help. After shooting some R10s and HN Sports, I went back to the CPFT (red circle on right) and the pellets went right back to the same place!

Could you please help me with the following:

1. The CPFT I have are pretty old (please see photo of pellet lid on right) and I don't think they're sold in smaller quantities any more. Are these the same as the Crosman Premier Heavy 0.177" that are sold in batches of 1250 in cardboard boxes?

2. I've read that heavier pellets wear out springs since they're harder to push out the barrel. I thought the FWB 124 liked to have the pellets harder to push so that pressure can build up? The pellets are leaving the muzzle at around 765 fps (you can see my "modification to Poor Man's Chrono" at http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/thread/1312722077/New+Updated+2-0+Version+of+Poor+Man%27s+Chrono), so I don't think the FWB is struggling to spit them out! Please let me know if I can shoot these pellets regularly without shortening my FWB's spring life.

3. I found that a 1" latex foam pad between the forearm and front sandbag helps keep the muzzle from bouncing up too much, but I'd like to try some material that is less squishy. Putting my fingers under the forearm doesn't work so well either. Please let me know what kind of a front rest you use for springers.

Thanks for all you help!

Best wishes,
John

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:37 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
No idea what the old pellets would compare to- they could be the same as the boxed pellets now sold, but Crosman has used the term "premier" on everything for a number of years.

Heavier pellets wearing out springs faster is more of an idea that a proven concept- the idea being that the more a spring has to push against, the more likely it would wear out faster. It's a nice theoretical idea that sounds like it makes sense- but I don't believe this has ever been established with any evidence.
Crosman Premier Field Target 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pellets/Ammo