Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » The BS Topic » DVD burners
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
DVD burners 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:28 pm Reply with quote
dedpool
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Posts: 244
Location: Hokie Nation
I wanna buy an external dvd burner for my sister for Christmas. I see a few of them on amazon for about $50. Would these be any good or are they a piece of junk and I need to get something more expensive?

Choice 1

Choice 2

Choice 3

_________________
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:33 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 21 May 2007
Posts: 757
As it so happens, I am much more likely to geek drive enclosures together myself so that my own particular criteria is met.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=AA70944

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=AA42450

I like these drives and enclosures, and have several . . . as well as dozens of backup RAM discs for data protection. A little slower than writing to a Versatile disc, but RAM functions exactly like a hard drive does. Simpler to just update revised files for me than burning to yet another optical WORM disc and that is really alot more convienient.

Plug and play, simple enough that even my 'anti-tech' mom can use one.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
DVD-R (RW) drives have now gone the way of the CD and CDRW drives- cheap. There was very little reason for them to be 5x the price of a CDRW drive a couple years ago- other than the manufacturers trying to recoup some of their R&D money.

No reason not to own one- although of the choices you and J. put up- I would lean towards the LG and Memorex units- both have typically had decent quality (relative to alot of others anyways) on media products.

The "Lightscribe" feature is not necessarily important- it means you have to buy "lightscribe" compatible discs (at a premium over non-LS discs) so you can write a label directly on the disc instead of writing one by hand or with a paper label. Surely puts out nice looking discs- but just another component that could potentially break- and is anyone really producing high-end stuff out of their house, other than the pirates?

Anyways- $50 is nothing to worry about. However, if the drive enclosure on one of these external drives is powered through the computer's USB port and nothing else- that might be a problem depending on the computer. If the enclosure has it's own power supply (like the empty case J. posted)- that won't be an issue.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 21 May 2007
Posts: 757
My labels are hand written on the case in 'sharpie' since wallyswurld sells the double sided RAM discs for $8-$10 for a 5 pack. I haven't even burned a Versitile disc since I discontinued editting video.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:27 am Reply with quote
dedpool
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Posts: 244
Location: Hokie Nation
wow 23ib0d0n, I had no idea there was such a thing as external enclosures. Thats pretty nifty

_________________
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:58 am Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 21 May 2007
Posts: 757
Have a few networked RAID 5 boxes and can run multiple disc burners but found that extreme video didn't sell well enough to justify the effort required to edit together a disc length feature. Now mainly just navigate the internet after I tire of cutting / melting metal for the day . . .
View user's profile Send private message
DVD burners 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » The BS Topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.