Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » leaving Co2 in gun
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
leaving Co2 in gun 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote
donec
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 19 Dec 2009
Posts: 837
Location: central Texas Pflugerville area
Has anyone found they have caused damage to their seals or some other part by leaving Co2 in their gun when storing it? I am not worried about the Co2 being gone due to leaking out just damage caused by leaving the half full cartridge in the gun.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quote
jlwilliams
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 02 Oct 2009
Posts: 264
Location: Jacksonville, NC USA
I can't swear to it, but I've always heard that CO2 will corrode seals. Itry not to leave CO2 guns charged more than a day or so.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
deadrats
Member
Member
Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 72
I leave em in for weeks. If that ruins the seal, so be it. I'll buy a new seal once every so often, but i'm not removing co2's every time i intend not to use it for any length of time. Sometimes i go after a rat and end up taking a shot or 2 or even none, then not use it for a week. I'm not going to throw away cartridges every few shots....i'll cost a lot more than a seal replacement now and then. imagine at around $.75-$1 for every few shots. nope. i'll chance the seal.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
jlwilliams
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 02 Oct 2009
Posts: 264
Location: Jacksonville, NC USA
That makes sense too.

I have a precharged that I keep pressurised (which is what manufacturers reccomend for pcp guns) and that's what I usually go for when I want to pop rodents. I only have a couple of CO2 guns and none of them is really my go-to critter getter. If it were, I'd probably leave it charged and just fix it when it breaks.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:38 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 4139
Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND
I find that leaving Co2 in a gun such as a QB78 which holds the Co2 in a pressure tube is no problem, mine has been constantly charged for the last three years, with no problem regarding seals.

On the other hand something like a Crosman 2240, which retains the Co2 in the Co2 Capsule by pressing the Capsule against a seal I find in time the seal loses its resilience, and needs time to reform periodically.

There is another type of seal and this uses an O ring around the neck of the Capsule to seal it, as on some Umarex products this can be left charged indefinitely with no problems.

The above only applies to 12g Co2 capsules, also when a silicon lube is applied with each capsule.

Al

_________________


View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote
donec
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 19 Dec 2009
Posts: 837
Location: central Texas Pflugerville area
Alstone wrote:
On the other hand something like a Crosman 2240, which retains the Co2 in the Co2 Capsule by pressing the Capsule against a seal I find in time the seal loses its resilience, and needs time to reform periodically.

Al
Thanks for the info Al. Will the seal reform by it's self or does something need to be done and about how long does it take for the seal to reform?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 4139
Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND
donec wrote:
Alstone wrote:
On the other hand something like a Crosman 2240, which retains the Co2 in the Co2 Capsule by pressing the Capsule against a seal I find in time the seal loses its resilience, and needs time to reform periodically.

Al
Thanks for the info Al. Will the seal reform by it's self or does something need to be done and about how long does it take for the seal to reform?


I don't keep the 2240 charged more that a two weeks, then leave it for a day to allow the seal to recover. it seems to work ok for me as it is used regularly.

The thing is to keep the seals lubricated with silicon, this stops the seal from drying out and absorbing Co2.

I have a three year old Umarex CP88 which uses the same seal system as a 2240, which I lent to my son for a year. He tells me he kept it charged most of the time, some times for a couple of months with out discharging it. and it seems to be ok and still holds a charge.

Al

_________________


View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
deadrats
Member
Member
Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 72
Is pellgun oil not as good for that as silicone?
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 30 Dec 2008
Posts: 2029
Location: Richmond, IN USA
I leave mine charged all the time. Both my daisy and crosman pistols are all charged constantly. All of my 22xx's are fully charged and on my 2240 pistol it's been mostly charged more than not for the last 10 years. I figure that the CO2 has to be keeping the system dry and dust free. that and with the pellgun oil on the top of the powerlet it won't rust either.

_________________
Airguns: Two starlings talking "Larry, did you hear that? Larry?? LARRY!!!!"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:13 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 4382
Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA
This question comes up frequently, for both CO2 and pneumatic guns. The only explanation that ever made sense to me is that in a single or multiple pump pneumatic with a valve that stays open on discharge, you want to store it with a little pressure to keep the valve closed. This prevents contaminants from entering the gun.

A quick check of the Crosman manuals for the C11 and 2240 shows that Crosman recommends removing the capsule. For the 2240: "Do not store your airgun with a CO2 cartridge in it. If you know you will not be using your airgun for an extended period of time, empty the CO2 cartridge and remove it from the airgun. (See Section 3A) This is very important to remember, as it will prolong the longevity of your airgun seals."

But then on the other hand I've never heard anyone say, "Oh yah - I wrecked my seals by leaving that thing in there."

My 2240 is stored without the capsule, simply because I usually shoot the whole thing in one sitting.

_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:08 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 30 Dec 2008
Posts: 2029
Location: Richmond, IN USA
Slavia wrote:
This question comes up frequently, for both CO2 and pneumatic guns. The only explanation that ever made sense to me is that in a single or multiple pump pneumatic with a valve that stays open on discharge, you want to store it with a little pressure to keep the valve closed. This prevents contaminants from entering the gun.

A quick check of the Crosman manuals for the C11 and 2240 shows that Crosman recommends removing the capsule. For the 2240: "Do not store your airgun with a CO2 cartridge in it. If you know you will not be using your airgun for an extended period of time, empty the CO2 cartridge and remove it from the airgun. (See Section 3A) This is very important to remember, as it will prolong the longevity of your airgun seals."

But then on the other hand I've never heard anyone say, "Oh yah - I wrecked my seals by leaving that thing in there."

My 2240 is stored without the capsule, simply because I usually shoot the whole thing in one sitting.


I only shoot mine once or twice a day, so it would cost me a fortune in CO2 to do that. I do get 40 packs of CO2 though so it isn't that bad. meiers stores around me sell them for 16 bucks. My 2400 also is always charged up too.

_________________
Airguns: Two starlings talking "Larry, did you hear that? Larry?? LARRY!!!!"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
leaving Co2 in gun 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.