Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » AirGunHome Q&A » Moved Topics
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Moved Topics 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:42 am Reply with quote
Turtle
I posted a question in General Airgun questions and it got moved to the Rifles section. The subject was that I would be getting an RWS 34 soon and I was asking what ammo they liked. The Rifles section says
Quote:
Maintenance, Improvements and Modifications to AG Rifles.
how is that a place for a question about ammo?

I've noticed a lot of topics are moved in this forum and I don't know about other people but I find it rude, particularly when the topic move doesn't really make sense. Question There is no section for ammunition discussion so why would I ever think to put it in Maintenance, Improvements, and Modifications? Perhaps the different forum definitions need to be expanded.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:35 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ahem, there is a section with "ammunition" in it's description.

Like the game of "Where's Waldo" you can spend some time looking for it. (I'll give you a hint, it's labeled "Accessories").

So, the post got moved from one area to another- how is this "rude"? As it is a question about a specific model of rifle and pellets- it could fall into either the rifle or accessories area. If the question was "what is the best pellet" generically, it would be likely to end up in accessories, but as it was "getting a RWS34, what pellet..." it appears to be more specific to the rifle, not the pellet. Same idea if you had asked "what pellet is best for killing squirrel?"- it likely would have ended up in Hunting, not accessories.

It is well within our rights as the people regulating this forum to do as we see fit with any post, but if moving a post is considered "rude" when what we're trying to accomplish is sorting topics a bit more efficiently- you may want to consider another forum with a more "free for all" motif- it's unlikely to be explained ad nauseum each time a post is moved, or even deleted if the content is not appropriate. However, I think it's unlikely you will find many forums like that- the ones that did exist in the past all degraded into random free-for-alls and people got upset at the lack of civility and difficulties in finding any useful information- so they deserted them until they finally blew away.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote
donec
I don't think it is rude to have my topics moved because I figure the powers that be know more about how people will find my topic better than I can and so the topic will get read more and thus have a better chance to get more response.

On top of that it is their forum and posting is a privilege.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:14 am Reply with quote
Turtle
I don't consider ammunition an accessory, it's a necessity to shooting an air gun. An accessory, by common definition, is an extra that can be gone without but compliments. Such nit picking of details shouldn't need to be considered when deciding where to post.

You'd do less sorting with a set of forum subtopics that made more sense. The mere fact that I see so many posts getting moved is proof of the ambiguity in the "system" here. But hey, I'm only here on "privilege" so by all means continue to beat your head on the wall.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:35 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Seeing as how you signed up a month ago and this was the first time you noticed anything was moved, obviously the ambiguity can't be that great, can it?

Also, what is ambiguous about "rifle" topics going in an area called "rifles"- which is the majority of posts that were moved.

If you have a suggestion, wonderful, but attempting to ram something down people's throats because you have a problem with "your" pet post being moved isn't really appropriate. The fact that YOU missed that there was an area for ammunition discussion- which is labeled quite clearly- is hardly anyone else's fault- whatever your impressions of "accessory" may be.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
Moved Topics 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » AirGunHome Q&A