Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Accessories » Building a target stand
Building a target stand 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Jaxom
I've been mulling over about building a target stand for some time now. I've some general ideas about how I wanna go about it. Just need to tweek a few things and get some impressions on durablity.

First off, I wanted something I could adjust the hieght of the target. This way I can practice wither laying prone, sitting on floor with wall as back rest, sitting at a bench rest, or even standing.

I'm not going to go into detail here about the stand/support. Rather I'll take pictures and add notes to them. For this post, I would rather concentrate on the actual box where I'll be hanging the target.

I don't want be rebuilding this ever few weeks as I've already found out my 2300kt has blown apart an old computer hutch and I haven't even gotten around to converting that to HPA yet!

Using some lumber I have on hand I was thinking of taking some 2'x2'x3/4 ply as the back. Then taking some 2x8 and making a frame to rest inside the 2'x2' profile.

Side note...The show American Airgunner, they demonstrated even high powered .22 ag only penetrated about 6" into soap bars. By going with an 8" wide lumber I'll give myself some extra safety margin. (I also have 1 2x10" if that nessary).

Once the box is constructed, I'll cut and fill the center with layers of that pink styro insulating foam for 4--6" depth depending on width of the board I use for the frame. The last or front 2" I'll use cork. While I know the cork and styro will need to be changed occationally, that's cheaper then constantly replacing the whole thing, right? The cork I know will be a bit tougher then the styro, but still soft enough that I can use tacks to pin my targets on it.

While I had no choice really, I'm regretting that I had to sell my welding equipment in february. I could have made something really nice with that and some steel plate. <sigh>

Any suggestions or comments?

Jax

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
bugeye bob
After shooting a cardboard box for a while I decided to build a stand too, I bought a couple of 1x2's 8 foot long and using a couple scrap pieces of 2x4's for the feet made a economy stand about 5 feet high for about $4. right now a have a piece of cardboard I fasten the targets to and the backdrop is a wood shed and some scrubs. I like the insulation ideas I had a few pieces of industrial insulation panels a while back that I think I threw away that would have worked good may try some think styrofoam. I want to build a firing bench rest where I can shoot from next hopefully I can build it for sitting or standing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:34 am Reply with quote
kanyon
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I have found the best is rubber / nylon mesh reinforced conveyor belt..
the stuff I use is 900mm wide/12mm thick..I just have it hanging free from the top with a peice of 100x50 across the bottom to hold it stright..
Even the AR6 shooting 32g eunjins 65fpe from 10m don't hardly mark it.
And its almost silent.... Very Happy for a springer I would imagine 6 or 8mm thick would be OK..
This stuff is used for mineing/carrying rock...

Pete

Hatsan mod 99 .177 (Quattro & SAS)
Kral underlever .177

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:45 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
I use a wooden box packed with 8"x4" pieces of carpet stacked edge wise and compressed, this is silent and lasts for up to 30,000 shots.

The box is A4 size and uses two long threaded bars to clamp and compress the carpet squares. As for height I hang it from a nail in a tree and move it up or down as required.

The A4 target paper is held in a slot and secured by sliding pins in the front frame.

Al

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:01 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I made one like al's a while back and it works great. Just don't let it get wet if you want to bring it indoors because it NEVER dries out.I ended up having to make another one for my basement. I've got mine packed so tight on the one indoors, I think you could shoot a .22 LR at it and it wouldn't penetrate.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Accessories