Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Messed something up (RWS 350 Mag)...
Messed something up (RWS 350 Mag)... 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Lipoly
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I took the stock off my RWS 350 last night to clean it thoroughly, did not take the trigger out. I really have no idea what I did, but when I put the stock back on it will not cock. It sounds weird when pulling the barrel down, will only go about 1/2 way w/o meeting major resistance, and will not cock. Here is a video of me trying to cock it...any ideas?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27337090@N02/4495481068/

Last edited by Lipoly on Sat May 01, 2010 11:14 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:23 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Nothing else comes to mind, except I had the same problem when the spring in my 34 broke. Hope that's not your problem.

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Lipoly
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hmm, it would be highly coincidental that it would've broke on the last shot I took of the day before taking the stock off to clean it. It has only 2000 rounds through it so it would be \unusual for the spring to have broke already. I guess I need to look at a diagram chart to understand better what is going on under the hood in these airguns.

Is it possibly to partially take the rifle assembly apart to take a better look w/o decompressing the spring? If so...is it also pretty easy?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:20 pm Reply with quote
dobiman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I had that happen on an RWS 34 too. It was a long time ago, I can't remember what caused it and what I did to fix it. Try and see if you have the trigger guard screws correct. Whatever it was, it was a simple thing like that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:15 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Check that the front stock screws are not sticking out into the channel where the cocking link goes, they could be catching.

But looking at the Video the link seems to pass the screws ok. Try taking the stock off and have a go at cocking it then, be carefull when doing this, if it cocks ok then it must be a stock screw thats jamming it.

Al

PS: I just turned the sound on and it doesn't sound good, there's something wrong with the spring or it's catching something. it shouldn't sound like that. Once you get it sorted out give the spring a lube job.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:05 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
There's something wrong with that noize. It definately needs to be opened up. Better get yourself a spring compressor... Neutral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:15 am Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
That noise is very similar to when the spring broke in my 34.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:05 am Reply with quote
Lipoly
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You guys didn't like that noise either eh...well, I found a "likely culprit"...

Now, the obvious question, is how the hell did that happen? I honestly don't know. I oiled the exterior of the gun, then the port. I then took two shots to get the excess out of the port. I'm guessing this is when it happened. Is it possible that putting too much oil in the port would've caused this? I was dripping oil in the port so at most put 2x the recommended amount. The curled metal on the top (w/reference to the picture) is from the lever, which was also damaged.

There is obviously a fair bit of scratched up, deformed metal in there, but I didn't take a good look @ it before it happened so I don't know if anything looks to be totally in the wrong place/position.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:55 am Reply with quote
rsterne
When you sayyou put oil in the port, do you mean the transfer port where the air passes from the chamber into the barrel?.... If so, I'm guessing that you caused a severe detonation (dieseling) which drove the piston back and somehow forced the cocking lever downwards causing the damage.... It look to me like the tube is bent along the sides of the slot where the damage is in addition to the torn metal....

Repair is going to involve disassembly, tapping the tube straight over a mandrel and the careful and thorough deburring and cleaning.... Have a look at the seal for damage, and if the spring is severely kinked you may want to replace that as well.... the cocking lever may be bent as well....

Does anyone know if a 350 has a hole in the piston in which the shoe of the cocking lever sits?.... I only see what looks to be the part that hooks on the sear, and wouldn't the cocking lever pressing on that prevent it from latching?....

In future, don't put any petroleum based oil in the compresson chamber....

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Lipoly
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am using the oil that came w/the RWS shooter's kit. It has a "Spring Cylinder" oil and "Air Chamber" oil. I honestly can't remember 100%, but I believe I used the Air Chamber oil (I clearly intended to)...I am not sure if the Spring Cylinder oil is petrol based or not...if it is, I suppose all evidence suggests I used the wrong one.

Last edited by Lipoly on Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Pics of the cocking arm?

A spring compressor isn't that hard to make. Took me about an hour to build mine, but I think it would handle the most magnum of springers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:07 am Reply with quote
Lipoly
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just an update, I called Umarex and they said they will fix it under warranty. I'm going to send it in today and I'll report back how it all turns out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Lipoly
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well, Umarex came through, and totally fixed my RWS 350 under warranty. I received my rifle today and they replaced the cocking lever, main spring, and "tube assembly". Total cost would've been $150 including labor, but all was covered under warranty. Looks like I have to start the spring break-in period again Evil or Very Mad I have not cronied it yet, but it easily blasted through a 1" softwood plank (my poor 1377 will barely bury the pellet).

Thanks Umarex!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:43 pm Reply with quote
packrat
COOL BEANS !! Nice to hear that a warranty is being honored...not all companies are so quick to hold up their end of the bargain, so to speak!! So basically you have a brand new gun Smile Smile

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics