Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Target Shooting: Casual, Fun and Competition » AirGunHome Pistol Match Rules? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Even if Jim can't get it scanned or a picture- we could maybe forgive him for awhile (don't want him breaking the bank having to buy a gun and a scanner or camera the same week). But if he wins one- then we'll need to see the pictures! Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
The formidable 'Wallys Wurld' has 620x480res digicams for $5 on most of the check out aisles. That should be high enough resolution to see the cuts in the targets. Example of 620x480

This would also be an example of an 'altered digital file' that would be be cause for DQ of the applicable score.
Office no, Kinkos, I guess 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Jim McArthur
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
At work, I'd have to take it to the admin guy, which wouldn't go over well! Mr. Green

Kinkos? Sure, if I can do it that way: they have a store just a few blocks away.

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Can you shoot in both category's, ie: Pistols and Rifles.

Al

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:05 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Smarty-pants Al at work again! Mr. Green

The idea with the first competition(s) until we get more people involved is that there really isn't a "division" of pistol vs. rifle- just the increased target distance for rifles.

You could, theoretically, shoot both a pistol and a rifle in two separate legitimately timed shoots and then only submit the one you like better- but entering both a pistol and a rifle won't matter at this point- there's only going to be one 'winner'. If you'd like to do this to see how you and your guns perform compared to one another- that might be very interesting but:

Here's the catch- There are no "prizes" to be had at this point- only the glory and excitement WooHoo! of being the AirGunHome weekly (monthly?) competition winner. So going out of one's way to win doesn't afford one much except maybe some sort of ego boost.

I'll let you in on a little secret too: I am, by far, not going to be the "best" shooter. I may try using an out-of-the-box, untuned, unmodified, stock open-sighted, Crosman 1077- just to see what happens. Or, I could try a Crosman Quest with a 4x32 sight. Either way- I can guarantee you that there will either be bugs in the gun I use that I have yet to resolve, and/or my not-so-wonderful shooting skills will become obvious. Do I care that I won't win? Not really- if I were that competitive I probably wouldn't get much enjoyment out of airgunning at all, or I'd be involved in professional match shooting already!

So- do what you will- but only one person in the single category we have thus far will be the winner (if there's a tie- we'll have to have a rapid-fire "shoot off" or something!).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
I only asked!

Al

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
I know. But somehow I still feel compelled to provide the most complete answer possible! :sheepshag:
Complete as can be! 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Jim McArthur
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
And you succeeded admirably, Eric! Mr. Green

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Jim McArthur
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
AirGunEric wrote:
Even if Jim can't get it scanned or a picture- we could maybe forgive him for awhile (don't want him breaking the bank having to buy a gun and a scanner or camera the same week). But if he wins one- then we'll need to see the pictures! Wink

Yer all heart! Yes Nod

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:28 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
So- if no one has any more ideas or comments- when do we want to officially start and end the competition?

Once we decide that- I'll get a new "Sticky" topic going laying out all the rules we've put together so far and include the times/dates.

In the meantime, I need to look at putting together a new pellet backstop. Have to poke through my junkpile and see what I can find!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:04 am Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
How about new match begins monday and post targets until saturday 11:00pm shooters local time so that sunday afternoon scores can be tallied.

Reshoots for ties could be posted during the next shooting week if required . . .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
An old sil postal match site. Pretty slow looking . . . 'Tard

http://www.curragh.com/cgi-bin/silhouette.cgi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
23ib0d0n wrote:
How about new match begins monday and post targets until saturday 11:00pm shooters local time so that sunday afternoon scores can be tallied.

Reshoots for ties could be posted during the next shooting week if required.

Sounds OK- but I'm wondering about people who might only be able to get shooting done on Sunday afternoons? I think we need a full week period generally- but for this first one that would probably be OK without it.

I will construct a basic webpage to "inform" people (will also let the search engines pick it up easier for people looking for ongoing matches) and put a sticky in here- but not until a bit later tonight.

You want to be the official "score confirmer" on this? Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:45 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
23ib0d0n wrote:
An old sil postal match site. Pretty slow looking . . . 'Tard

http://www.curragh.com/cgi-bin/silhouette.cgi

I poked around that a bit- it looks like it was fairly active for the first year or two, then just died out. Probably what happens when no one is monitoring the competition and they use the same target over and over again(?).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:06 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
Targets shot on weekends {saturday ~ sunday} submit in the next postal week?

Scores up by 11:00gmt sunday morning post for decision . . . ?

If the post is up before sun 11:00gmt then it would be no problem to decide on a winner sun afternoon.

Would it work better to start matches fri and run until fri, then post before sun 11:00gmt for that prior target week?

Everyone scores themselves, but winning targets {and runner up} could be 'verified' against mistakes if you like . . .
AirGunHome Pistol Match Rules? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Target Shooting: Casual, Fun and Competition