Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Accessories » Chrono's, what's the difference? Goto page Previous  1, 2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:54 pm Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
It's all good Bob... in my experiance... anything lighter than 18gr tends to spiral off target at that speed... The JSB Jumbo Heavies are the only pellet that I have used in these two guns that will carry on target that far out...

Say "NO" to BB Gun Wars... Quid Pro Quo Rule: An eye for an eye...
www.HPASports.com www.Facebook.com/hpasports

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
donec
rsterne wrote:
Quote:
ya want to keep it Sub Sonic... Just below is nice...

You may want to check out my thread on how BCs change with velocity:

http://airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=4707

I've been doing more work since, and have pretty much decided that ~850 fps is the practical maximum for JSB Express 14.3 gr.... ~900 for Exact 15.9 gr.... and ~950 for 18 gr. Heavies.... Even at those velocities, the BC in the first 5 yards is DISMAL....

I tested the 18 gr. Heavies yesterday at 940 fps muzzle (corrected).... They were 933 at 1 yard and down to 903 fps at 6 yards.... which works out to an initial BC of only 0.019.... From 6 yards to 26 yards, they only dropped to 856 fps which is a BC of 0.034.... The average BC over 26 yards works out to 0.029.... Note, the pellet lost 30 fps in the first 5 yards and then only 47 fps in the next 20 yards.... Shocked

The same pellets starting at 700 fps from my Grouse gun were still going 656 fps at 26 yards.... and the BC was (get this!) 0.048....

Sure makes you wonder about all the hype about 1200 fps airguns.... Rolling Eyes

Bob
Thanks Bob that has helped me start to understand some of this BC stuff you guys keep talking about. I mean seeing figures about what is happening as the pellet goes down range make it a little clearer. I always have had problems with the obvious to others.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Bob's the science man... Thumb Up!
I'm just a tinker... Giant Grin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Jaxom
Wow! didn't know I was gonna open up a can of worms on chrono's! Some excellent advice though...as always!

Yes, if it was not for my interest in tuning/moding, and stricktly bought off the shelf ag's and shot them as-is, I doubt I would concider a chrono.

FYI it was Joe's story about the customer killing his that I was referring to. Think you only had it a week before that happened?

I do think I'll need more substantial then 3/8" plate. Eventually I'm looking to get a one or two large bore ags, such as a .50 Dragonslayer or such.

The reason I asked about a wireless one, is that I seen them using one on American Airgunner show. The results per shot were showing up instantly, this would be a useful aid when you have an adustable hammer spring installed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
I use a wireless Dixon #2 word processor, compatable with most user platforms.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:34 am Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jax...... Worms????? Shocked ewwwwwww thoes are for dead critters & fishing....

Yea... bout a week or so... and took months to get a replacement...

The 3/8" was for making a few safety shields around the shop... But if you know ThatGuy... he will shoot anything... moving or not... jk...

Errrrrmmm.... I probs should not say what we were using the lexan to hold... Young kids might try it at home.... But it involves Shotgun Shell Primers at 40 yards... ***No live Shells were involved just the primers***

As far as "Shooting Crony" goes... the display is the most expensive thing to have replaced... It cost the same for a whole new Crony.... If you kill a sensor... It's cheap to fix...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote
packrat
Lot of good info on chronys from this thread, (mostly) a chrony has many uses other than just for a modification in works... I have used mine for testing different pellet brands/weights,, I have used it for setting power adjuster (which was NOT a mod)to get as many consistant shots as possible from a single CO2 cartridge, I have used it in helping to determine FPE for different pellets While I agree that it is a luxury, I disagree on it just being useful to check mod results YMMV
Ther are more than just 2 main brands available with a solid reputation for reliabilty, ease of operation, and capabilities. I'm currently looking at units and comparing features for a possible buy in near future..I currently have an ALPHA shooting chrony, along with shooting chrony printer (which is definitely a luxury, but I'm NOT giving mine up Mr. Green ) for about the same money as I gave for my set-up, there are units available with many more features, and much improved over-all. YES I have "shot" mine...twice...only cracked plastic and bent metal, but it WILL make you sit straight up in your chair Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:29 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Slavia wrote:
I use a wireless Dixon #2 word processor, compatable with most user platforms.

Maybe if you don't get your nose stuck in the carriage trying to read the numbers! Razz

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Jaxom wrote:
...a wireless one, is that I seen them using one on American Airgunner show...

Any idea who the manufacturer of this unit is/was? American Airgunner is sponsored by PyramydAir- and they really don't show anything that Pyramyd isn't carrying, or planning to carry in the near future. But, their website only has Shooting Chrony units and a couple of cheesy AirSoft-oriented units.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Jaxom
No I didn't. I just recall they were inside the shooting hut, and what ever brand chrono he had, the read out would appear on a laptop he had on his bench.

Now I did to some browsing on chrono's, and brand that pyramid air sells, they have an accessory that converts the 1/8" mini jack to an RS-232, so it's possible he had it routed to the laptop instead of a printer...but then what software was he using?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:30 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
This one maybe?

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Shooting_Chrony_IBM_PC_Interface/2784

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Jaxom
Yes, that's what I was refering to, now whether or not that's the exact unit they were using, your guess is good as mine.

If ya catch the show again, I believe it's the first episode, where they're shooting into soap bars to show depth of penetration and expantion.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Accessories