Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Accessories » Chrono's, what's the difference? Goto page 1, 2  Next
Chrono's, what's the difference? 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Jaxom
The more involved I get with owning ag's the more and more it's looking like I'll evenually need to get a good chrono to track my ag's performaces.

I've seen the different models offered on Pyramidair and other sites. They all look the same. how's one to tell which is best?

I do know features to look for.... one biggie is a remote reader. But does anyone make a wireless one? Besides that what makes one unit stand out above others? Besides the ones I've mentioned who else makes them?

One thing I do know for sure, after reading accounts at to what has happend to other memeber's units along with pics of them posted on here, I WILL make a guard for it before sending the first pellet towards it!

Thanks,

Jax

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
I just have a basic Alpha.... no remote, no printer, one string up to 32 shots.... means a bit of walking, but it suits my needs....

If you are shooting at a range where they have to shut down before going into the target area, you will want a remote.... otherwise, spend what you want.... but you DO need a Chrony....

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote
donec
I have been under the impression that most if not all the readings with a crony are made with the crony being close to the airgun. So what is the talk of walking and needing a remote?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Lipoly
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Imo, its a surplus item you get after spending money on a good rifle/pistol w/good optics...most people shouldn't need to know their exact fps unless they are modifying their gun. I got a Shooting Chrony, and realized that my rifles were right in the range I expected them to be in...so I really gained nothing in having one. If you are modding, then you could have a good "business case" in getting one, but otherwise it is a luxury.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
Quote:
most if not all the readings with a crony are made with the crony being close to the airgun

Most BUT NOT all.... If you want to find out how velocities of pellets compare at, say, 25 yds you need a remote or will have to walk.... At a rifle range, they won't even let you one foot over the firing line between "cease fires".....

RE: a luxury.... I agree unless you are modding like Jax is.... HE would benefit from a Chrony....

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:08 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
I use a Combro Crony which attaches to the end of the barrel, I mesures fpe, fps in English or metric, it also plugs into a laptop and displays whatever imformation you want in large letters, you can run "Airgun 7. 5. 2" in real time for shot fall and range any make of pellet.

See: http://airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=1639&highlight=combro

Al

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:16 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
The combro and Shooting Chrony units are really the only consistent, fairly economical units out there. There is a third unit in this sort of marketspace, but it's sooo common I can't even remember it's name.

Everything else becomes more of a 'laboratory' grade and starts at $1000.00- so your options are pretty limited when price is a factor.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:11 am Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
donec wrote:
I have been under the impression that most if not all the readings with a crony are made with the crony being close to the airgun. So what is the talk of walking and needing a remote?

Errrrmmmmmmmmm.... for when you let someone else use it and they shoot the display... My first Shooting Crony was KIA when I let a customer use it to test out his gun.... I replaced it with the Remote type after that... Corse had him kick in for the new one...

Say "NO" to BB Gun Wars... Quid Pro Quo Rule: An eye for an eye...
www.HPASports.com www.Facebook.com/hpasports

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
When I get a chrony, first thing I'm going to do is build a steel box for it. 3/8" CRS plate, anybody?

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:29 am Reply with quote
Slavia
I agree that a chrony is a luxury unless you're doing mods - then it's essential. Mine is the same as rsterne's; simple but serves my needs. I armored the front panel and the rear photocell housing with polycarbonate.

I almost always use it at near-muzzle distances. Once you know muzzle velocity, you can shoot two distances to measure pellet drop and then use software like Chairgun to figure out what's happening downrange.

As far as the shields - I chose to use polycarbonate (Lexan) because it's what I've seen in safety glasses and woodworking fixtures. Acrylic (Plexiglass) apparently isn't quite as tough. My local automotive glass place had scraps that they let me have cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Errrmmmm......... Guy's Talon takes chunks out of 3/16" Lexan at 40 yards... ooooooops... least he's not the one who shot my crony...

That was when we were playing well above Super Sonic in .22 cal 18.1gr JSB's... he he he... Accuracy sucked... but it got there quick...

Point being... If your tunning.. ya want to keep it Sub Sonic... Just below is nice...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I could remind ya that his Talon shoots through car doors....

Poor dead Mazda... It now belongs to Pick n' Pull... Hey.. I still got $200 bucks for it... holes and all...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:13 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
Quote:
ya want to keep it Sub Sonic... Just below is nice...

You may want to check out my thread on how BCs change with velocity:

http://airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=4707

I've been doing more work since, and have pretty much decided that ~850 fps is the practical maximum for JSB Express 14.3 gr.... ~900 for Exact 15.9 gr.... and ~950 for 18 gr. Heavies.... Even at those velocities, the BC in the first 5 yards is DISMAL....

I tested the 18 gr. Heavies yesterday at 940 fps muzzle (corrected).... They were 933 at 1 yard and down to 903 fps at 6 yards.... which works out to an initial BC of only 0.019.... From 6 yards to 26 yards, they only dropped to 856 fps which is a BC of 0.034.... The average BC over 26 yards works out to 0.029.... Note, the pellet lost 30 fps in the first 5 yards and then only 47 fps in the next 20 yards.... Shocked

The same pellets starting at 700 fps from my Grouse gun were still going 656 fps at 26 yards.... and the BC was (get this!) 0.048....

Sure makes you wonder about all the hype about 1200 fps airguns.... Rolling Eyes

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
With a great barrel crown, 950 fps at the Muzzle.. we can kill empty shotgun shells at 100 yards all day long with the JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.1 gr...

Beer bottles at 200 yards... are not imposable... Yea ya got the scope cranked all the way up and you are using the bottom of the cross hairs... But we do it... with the Talon and the HPA 2260 Disco Wanabe... and that wanabe only has an 18" barrel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:50 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
I didn't say it wouldn't work.... I'm just saying that when you push the velocities you face the laws of diminishing returns.... I'll give you another example, with 14.3 gr. JSB Express....

MV 1067 fps - 25 yard velocity is 857 fps - loss of 210 fps (20%) - BC = 0.014 - FPE @ Muzzle/25 yds = 36.1/23.3 - 35% loss
MV 1003 fps - 25 yard velocity is 839 fps - loss of 164 fps (16%) - BC= 0.018 - FPE @ Muzzle/25 yds = 31.9/22.3 - 29% loss
MV 901 fps - 25 yard velocity is 789 fps - loss of 112 fps (12%) - BC = 0.024 - FPE @ Muzzle/25 yds = 25.8/19.8 - 23% loss
MV 775 fps - 25 yard velocity is 703 fps - loss of 72 fps (9%) - BC = 0.032 - FPE @ Muzzle/25 yds = 19.1/15.7 - 18% loss
MV 633 fps - 25 yard velocity is 580 fps - loss of 53 fps (8%) - BC = 0.034 - FPE @ Muzzle/25 yds = 12.7/10.7 - 16% loss

It's pretty obvious that the initial losses get huge once the velocity goes over ~850 fps.... You should see what happens with wadcutters.... Shocked

Sorry for the thread 'jack.... Embarassed

EDITED to add FPE loss at 25 yards....

Bob

Last edited by rsterne on Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chrono's, what's the difference? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Accessories