 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | Digital Camera Help? |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:23 am |
|
|
| AirGunEric |
| Site Admin |

 |
 |
| Joined: 20 Jan 2007 |
| Posts: 6930 |
| Location: "Out There" |
|
|
 |
Well, for anyone who has seen any of my "close up" pictures of things- I need a new digital camera.
So, after investigating a bit and deciding on a budget I have narrowed my choices down to two models:
1) Olympus SP-510US
2) Fuji FinePix S700
Both of these units use 'AA' batteries- so no expensive custom battery packs, both have 10x optical zoom, both use SD cards (of which I have a couple already) and both are 7.1m-pixels.
Anyone have any experience with either of these? For a $300 USD (or less) budget- is/are there better units out there for more close-up (macro) work that I may have missed?
Any input is welcome! |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:11 am |
|
|
| Alstone |
| Moderator & Site Supporter |

 |
 |
| Joined: 01 Mar 2007 |
| Posts: 4139 |
| Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND |
|
|
 |
Hi Eric I have been a big fan of Olympus for years, and I have two of there digital camers, but since they changed to digital I have been a bit disillusioned and would not buy another from them. My wife has a fuji Finepix 5mb and it does every thing well if not exceptional. I have a Canon IXUS 4MB which I think is one of the best small camers I have had, the only problem is a slight vignetting on some pictures.
But camers are like airguns it's a personal preferance otherwise we would all have the same.
AL |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:12 am |
|
|
| AirGunEric |
| Site Admin |

 |
 |
| Joined: 20 Jan 2007 |
| Posts: 6930 |
| Location: "Out There" |
|
|
 |
I hear what you're saying- the problem of course is I really can't "test drive" a camera properly before buying.
I have a couple of older cameras- one works fine for stills if the object being photographed is over 1m/3ft away and the other is mainly for movies- it has no flash so stills are pointless. Both are too old to be able to do close-up work.
So- relying on my limited experience with Digital cams isn't terribly worthwhile- and I'm not sure, as you mentioned in respect to Olympus- that any opinions I have had on specific regular film cameras translates to the digital stuff. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:30 am |
|
|
| Alstone |
| Moderator & Site Supporter |

 |
 |
| Joined: 01 Mar 2007 |
| Posts: 4139 |
| Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND |
|
|
 |
Hi Eric
Most of the big names in camers make decient one's, what I should think you want is one that does good close-up's and general photos and as a bonus movie. As I say I have two 2mb Olympus, Canon A40, Fuji Finepix and my Canon Ixus, all do movie some with sound some not, I like the Canon A40 but it is a bit big to carry around the same with the Olympus the Finepix is a bit better and lighter, but I like the Ixus it's the size of a credit card does sound and vision very close close-up's and excelent general photo's, the thing being that if it's small you will carry it with you, as I do all the time, the only thing you will not like is the fact it requires a special battery.
PS All the photos I have posted on here have been taken with it.
AL |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:31 am |
|
|
| StevieLaner7777 |
| Moderator |

 |
 |
| Joined: 07 Mar 2007 |
| Posts: 1060 |
| Location: Herefordshire, UK |
|
|
 |
Hi AirGunEric
You might have been wondering what Digicam I use to get the Giant 8.1mp images I post in so here some Info on it:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/article_print.asp?date=0507&article=05071401rollei_dp8300
It's a little bit on the pricey side but the review was taken in 05 so the price would have dropped considerably by now.
Also the battery pack is rechargeable so in the long run it will save you money, Instead of buying AA's all the time.
Not forgetting the macro function:
Just a tip: always go with optical zoom, Digital zoom basically zooms into the pixels and makes it pixelated, This can be done on the computer anyway.
Hope this helps!
Stevie  |
|
_________________ "Who Dares Wins" - SAS 22nd Regiment Hereford. |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:38 pm |
|
|
| AirGunEric |
| Site Admin |

 |
 |
| Joined: 20 Jan 2007 |
| Posts: 6930 |
| Location: "Out There" |
|
|
 |
| Thanks for the tips. I will also have to see what's available around here. If anyone else has a camera they think is the cat's a$$ or what-have-you- post it up! |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:28 pm |
|
|
| 23ib0d0n |
| Moderator |

 |
 |
| Joined: 21 May 2007 |
| Posts: 757 |
|
|
|
 |
| AirGunEric wrote: |
| Thanks for the tips. I will also have to see what's available around here. If anyone else has a camera they think is the cat's a$$ or what-have-you- post it up! |
I've acquired a few digital cameras over the years from this place.
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/deptcam.hmx?
Spent less than $100 {3 years ago} on the Umax 6.6mp camera currently in use. Spent more on the 1gb sd card that is in it. {At the same time}
~
Simple to use and pretty good photos with little more than 'setup - point - shoot' and most digicam have multiple settings for different lighting, micro and macro as well as telephoto optics and 'idiot user' features such as auto-focus / auto-f-stop timing. The more expensive cameras are usually 'battery intensive' and slower {more precise} auto-focus.
~
This particular Umax is in between with 1 to 2 second auto-focus and medium battery consumption. {40-50 6.6mp shots on fresh batteries}
~
Of course flash may take it under 40 shots, but I probably haven't taken more than a couple dozen shots in a day and not all with flash either so can't really say 'for sure' what the actual numbers are. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:16 pm |
|
|
| broommaster2000 |
| Moderator |

 |
 |
| Joined: 10 Mar 2007 |
| Posts: 5714 |
| Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands |
|
|
 |
This is probably just me as a multimedia designer but: get an Canon Eos 350 D. It's the best camera on the market.
Or you could go for a cheaper camera that's just good, and buy a regular Canon. They don't let you down, and are easy to use. Kodak has some nice small camera's too, but not sure about them. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | A regular Canon |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:47 pm |
|
|
| StevieLaner7777 |
| Moderator |

 |
 |
| Joined: 07 Mar 2007 |
| Posts: 1060 |
| Location: Herefordshire, UK |
|
|
 |
This Canon won't don't let you down, and is easy to use.
You should be able to get some memorable shots with this beauty!!
Stevie  |
|
Last edited by StevieLaner7777 on Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total _________________ "Who Dares Wins" - SAS 22nd Regiment Hereford. |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:56 pm |
|
|
| AirGunEric |
| Site Admin |

 |
 |
| Joined: 20 Jan 2007 |
| Posts: 6930 |
| Location: "Out There" |
|
|
 |
I appreciate the note about battery consumption.
That Canon EOS 350D is a nice unit- but over double what I want to spend on a digital camera. Until the market/technology 'flat lines' as in they've reached a pinnacle of production (like 35mm cameras did 20+ years ago)- I don't want to spend too much cash on something that won't get used heavily and likely need to be replaced in a few years.
Canon, Nikon both make nice SLR-type digital cameras. My problem with most digital cameras has been that they can be far too complex to master properly and/or quickly- and I learned how to take pictures on a full-on manual 35mm (Pentax K1000)- so that's saying something. I just tend to leave everything on "auto" these days and let the camera try to do the thinking. The bonus with doing it this way with digital is that I can view a picture immediately and decide if it needs to be re-done- not wait to get the film developed and prints done before finding out it all came out wrong. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:14 am |
|
|
| AirGunEric |
| Site Admin |

 |
 |
| Joined: 20 Jan 2007 |
| Posts: 6930 |
| Location: "Out There" |
|
|
 |
Woohoo! My new camera should be arriving Friday/Saturday if everything goes well.
It is the Olympia SP-510UZ that is coming. I had a chance to play with one a couple weeks ago and it seemed like it will do everything I need it to, without breaking the bank.
So, now I have to find the time to take close-up pictures of the dozen or so things I have outstanding to post around here! |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:49 am |
|
|
| StevieLaner7777 |
| Moderator |

 |
 |
| Joined: 07 Mar 2007 |
| Posts: 1060 |
| Location: Herefordshire, UK |
|
|
 |
Congrats Eric!!
I can wait to see the Photos! Take some landscape pics of the views near you so we can be blown away by the quality and beauty, also try to take some pics in dim light to see how well it handles it.
BTW I think you meant 'Olympus' not "Olympia"!
So did you finally get it as a gift as promised by a relative? Or did you give up on waiting and just bought it?
Stevie  |
|
_________________ "Who Dares Wins" - SAS 22nd Regiment Hereford. |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:13 am |
|
|
| AirGunEric |
| Site Admin |

 |
 |
| Joined: 20 Jan 2007 |
| Posts: 6930 |
| Location: "Out There" |
|
|
 |
Olympus! oops. Olympia made typewriters back when typewriters were still being made.
And no, this one I didn't have to pay for out of my own pocket. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | Digital Camera Help? |  | |  |  |  |
Air Gun Home Forum Index » The BS Topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum
|
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
|
|
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.
|