Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » New / Pre-owned QB-78 .177
New / Pre-owned QB-78 .177 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Got myself a new/pre owned QB78 a bargin at £30, the only problem with it is that it hasn't been fired for 18 months, and when we tried it out it leaked gas from the capsul docking valve, but all was not lost, the guy who was selling it had bought a spare valve 18 months previously, and he has a key for the job, so we agreed that if he replaced the valve and it worked alright I would make him a muzzel break for his 2240 as part of the deal. Apart from that the rest of the gun looks like new.

So now I'm away for a week and things should be sorted when I get back. Taking the Laptop with me so I can stay in touch.

AL

Last edited by Alstone on Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:18 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Al gets a deal!

Does this mean you you will be moving ahead on the MK stock/magazine conversion you were thing of doing?

http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=445

Also- I had inquired with the regional XS/QB distributor around here about the rifling on the 78- but he did not know and said he would have to test to find out (with no specific schedule in mind when this might get done). Don't know why this info wasn't readily available from the manufacturer. I guess you'll be able to figure it out on your own now! Razz

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:31 am Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Hi Al

Your QB/XS78 looks to be in excellent condition Al, definitely a bargain for the price you got it for!

Ah so it is .177, just what you wanted! As it is .177 does that make the Bolt probe and the pellet loading part of the breech smaller and is the OD of the barrel smaller or the same as the .22cal (14.20mm)??

Also don't forget to chrony it when you get it working, It would be interesting to see what velocity the .177 version puts out!

Lastly, Is the Barrel band Plastic or Metal?

Stevie Thumb Up!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Hi Eric
I will be doing a conversion but not an M1, it doesn't lend itself to the layout of a QB, it will probably be a hybrid of a WWll carbine complete with sling, which I used to use years ago to steady a rifle but seem out of fashion these days, mind you I did notice the piece of string on one of your guns in a previous post.
Thanks for trying to find out about the rifling, I like to leave at least one good turn when I shorten a barrel, anything less and I reckon you can get pellet wobble.

Stevie
I intend to fully crony it before anything, then when I chop a lump off the barrel I will know how much it gets degraded.

I haven't a clue about the barrel band or the size of the bolt probe, although I think the barrel band is plastic, the guy I bought it off as taken it back to change the valve unit, I reckoned it was the seal that was gone but he said it was the valve, thats why he bought a new one, but I think with it being stood for 18 months there may be other seals that need replacing, apart from that the gun itself is not much more than 18 months old, so it never worked properly from new. Anyway I'm away all next week so I won't find anything out till the week after.

In the mean time I'll fire up AutoCAD and do some designs for the rebuild.

Al

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
I think Stevie was trying to get at the idea of whether or not the gun you got is a QB-78 or a QB-78D (for 'Deluxe') which is the latest version of the gun. The newest version has only been available for a couple of months- so if yours is 18 months old, it cannot be one. The 'D' model came with a metal barrel band.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:09 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Hi Al and Eric

Eric - I was trying to figure out whether all regular QB78/XS78's have plastic barrel bands or if the factory had decided to stop using Metal barrel bands halfway through the production of the QB/XS78's, But I guess your post answers that for me, Cheers!

Al - Sounds like you've got a proper plan going with shortening your QB78's barrel, Hopefully those numbers won't move too drastically!

Also, I'm still yet to download AutoCAD LT 2008 but I should have it soon hopefully!

Lastly, Does anyone know if SMK or whomever make/design the XS/QB's have an official website??

Stevie Thumb Up!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
I think the Deluxe version has a brass bolt and trigger.

Al

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
"SMK" is the UK (maybe all of Europe) manufacturers representative for the company.

The company that actually manufactures the QB78 is called "Industry Brand" and is in China. They also make a few other airguns, which are licensed to SMK, and in the USA to "Xisico" -who also represents BAM ("Best Airgun Manufacturer" also from China who make the 'B' series guns like the B26, B51, B19, etc. etc.).

I don't know of any real manufacturers website for Industry Brand. Probably don't have one- they leave all the marketing and support to their contractors- the SMK's and Xisico's of the world.

You could try www.xisicousa.com for more info on the QB line if SMK doesn't have its own website.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Hi Eric

I just thought as SMK is the company that is selling the XS78's to England/Europe maybe they would have a website, Though it appears that they don't.

However Industry Brand do have a site with info these Airguns called "Shanghai air gun factory" but according to my Internet browser (IE7) the site may harm my computer and due to recent events with a Trojan Horse galloping it's way through my system causing loss of all my folders and files on my HDD's I'm not willing to enter the site.

So for now I will have a good look through the site that you posted a link to (www.xisicousa.com), If this provides no useful info I will keep to the forums.

Thanks anyway!

Stevie Thumb Up!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
"The Shanghai air gun factory" site is at http://www.airrifle-china.com/index.htm . This is not the same site that gave you problelms Stevie, but it is the site of "Industry Brand"

Al

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Hi Al

Yes that is the site that is giving me trouble at the moment though I have entered it via your link and I got this message from my Antivirus software (AVG):

I think it is the 'Language Pack Installation' that the site is requesting to install is upsetting my Antivirus software.

Alternatively I have just found this website today that is according to the box that my Bro's (2514) SMK XS78 came in is the official SMK website:
http://www.sportsmk.co.uk/

Stevie Thumb Up!

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles