Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Upgraded Diana 34

Wait?
Yes
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
No
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3

Upgraded Diana 34 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:30 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
The 34 I started with . . .

I should have taken more pictures but . . . Huh?

So the question is:
after reassemby with the fluted Gene Curtis built AirGunToys Weaver intergrated Red dot shroud
and T6 adjustable stock, should I hold up {wait}
presenting it to Brandon
to finish installing the bipod mount or not ? ? ?
Please also remember that his 17th birthday
was a month ago but plans {and $}
have a certain unpedictable aspect
beyond mere mortals controls . . .
Rolling Eyes

Put this together for info gathering

Last edited by 23ib0d0n on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Hi 23ib0d0n

I'm not familiar with a Diana 34, is the stock plastic ?, if so I understand what you have done, if not whats the blow torch for.

Whatever you did it looks great, very mean. Thumb Up!

Do you find that the red dot works better further down the barrel ?.

AL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:25 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Hi all

Join the confusion club Al, I have no idea what 23ib0d0n is trying to say either!!

This is what I think 23ib0d0n is trying to say:
OK, He started of with the "34" (Diana 34) and replaced the original wooden stock with a plastic one and added a T6 adjustable butt stock and a Weaver intergrated Red dot sight, But is wondering whether or not to present it to 'Brendon' as a late birthday present before finishing the bi-pod mount, although there is an image with the bi-pod on the gun at the bottom (this makes it a bit confusing) and there is also several images of a melted plastic stock and a metal tube with melted plastic all over it and a blow torch next to it (this is very confusing!!).

So that's my warped idea of what 23ib0d0n is trying to say.

Also I have not voted yet as I am unclear about what 23ib0d0n is trying to ask our opinions on.

Stevie :thumbup

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:28 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
I began with a Diana 34 and put in Mr Maccari's heavy tar with the GSI kit {no longer available} and seal, so it shoots much better but the bipod in the picture does not have all of the mounting hardware assembled to hold it in place. It may take several more days to cut, weld and fit all of those brackets and hinges in place.

The replacement stock has an adjustable length of pull butt plate and was severely abused in the alteration process and fits the action very well now, though it could never be mistaken for the rattle trap wood stock that it supersedes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
I would leave the gun how you have it now- looks great (certainly alot different, and in my opinion a lot more 'deluxe' than the plain 34 you started with)- and you may find the recipient is just fine with it having no bipod- at least for awhile.

Also- I think what J. is indicating with the pics of the propane torch and the melted stock is that he cut it down to the size and shape using the tube shown, heated up with the torch, to melt the plastic into shape and eliminate the excess. I'm sure this works great to get the receiver and barrel to fit the stock "just right"- but wouldn't it be easier to cut away the excess plastic stock pieces with a blade/saw before melting anything?

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:19 am Reply with quote
Alstone
I can see now exactly what the big man as done, heated up a steel bar the same dia as the tube on the Diana and droped it in to the plastic stock to burn it in to shape, good idea 23ib0d0n, nice job.

AL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:28 am Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
That abs plastic is a real hassle to cut or grind Eric. Going Nuts Actually not very easy to melt the stuff either though.Eek

Hmmm Sign We'll see how much he really likes it tomorrow when he gets to shoot it . . . Giant Grin
The bipod attaching hardware will just have to be a few more days
Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:49 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
So, how did the birthday boy like the gun? We never heard any more about it! Was he liking it without the bipod?

Also- how did the tune work out on it? Or, maybe a better question- what can be done to a Diana 34 power and accuracy-wise and what all did it entail?

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
Put some pellets over the F1
~
Basics before tune 779~809f/s
After 944~963f/s
~
Gamo pointed before 760-775
After 911-921
~
JSB Express before 749-807
After 902-911
~
Vogel green 4.50 before 749~771f/s
After 888~894f/s
~
CPL after 884-896
CPHP after 896-910
Daisy pointed after 945-967
~
Not bad for an old used 'beater' rifle. Alot smoother now without the 'clack' or 'twang' and picked up an additional 4fpe while closing the groups down to little critter 'kill zone' sizes.
5 shots CPL @ 50m from rebuilt D34

This T01 trigger is exceptional as well. Checked it with the Lyman trigger guage and it is very smooth, consistant with 1 pound 2oz {0.51kg} of pull to the second stage and breaks cleanly at 2 pounds 7oz {1.1kg}
Brandon does seem pleased with it . . .

The rebuild consisted of replacing the guide, spring and seal with the Mr Maccari GSI kit after crosshatch honing the compression tube. Then cleaned, degreased, burnished KG-7 Molybdenum Disulfide Super Fine powder inside of the compression tube and on the piston also adding dry teflon to the surface of the skirt.
Thin coat of Mr Maccari heavy tar on the spring and guide then just barely enough silicone oil to slide the seal into the action. Put the spring compressor adapter in place then adjusted the assembly until the holes lined up to put the pins back in the action, moving the safety latch just enough to seat the rear pin. With the action assembled, seat / bed it in the stock and snug the action screws in place being careful that the screw in front of the trigger doesn't tension the trigger group or the sear won't latch.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:11 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Interesting, an 8 to 20% velocity increase with that spring kit, hone and lube- pretty good for a used gun that was already nearing 800fps. Why did you use the GSI kit:

http://www.airguns.citymax.com/catalog/item/251488/471773.htm

instead of the GRT kit?: http://www.airguns.citymax.com/catalog/item/251488/2514146.htm

Please excuse my ignorance on the specs of Diana internals- but looking at those kits- can I read into it that R6's, HW50s, HW99s and the 34,36,38,40,45,46 and 300s all have the same diameter chambers/springs?

Also- that screw in front of the trigger- is the action there a bit weak- or are you actually screwing into the trigger itself to tension it? Seems like a bit of a flaw in the design- or what am I missing?

And lastly- any idea how far a 34 could be pushed before muzzle energy is too great for it to retain any control or accuracy?

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
AirGunEric wrote:
Interesting, an 8 to 20% velocity increase with that spring kit, hone and lube- pretty good for a used gun that was already nearing 800fps. Why did you use the GSI kit:

http://www.airguns.citymax.com/catalog/item/251488/471773.htm

instead of the GRT kit?: http://www.airguns.citymax.com/catalog/item/251488/2514146.htm

Please excuse my ignorance on the specs of Diana internals- but looking at those kits- can I read into it that R6's, HW50s, HW99s and the 34,36,38,40,45,46 and 300s all have the same diameter chambers/springs?
This GSI kit is the discontinued Diana version. Very smooth and easy to cock.
AirGunEric wrote:

Also- that screw in front of the trigger- is the action there a bit weak- or are you actually screwing into the trigger itself to tension it? Seems like a bit of a flaw in the design- or what am I missing?
The screw threads into the front of the trigger assembly and if the wood gets compressed to the point that the trigger group 'rocks' toward the stock then the piston latch wouldn't catch. The solution was a small brass ring to hold the trigger group in place.
AirGunEric wrote:

And lastly- any idea how far a 34 could be pushed before muzzle energy is too great for it to retain any control or accuracy?
I haven't heard how hard they can be pushed, but the Paul Watts tuned Diana 38 {same action as a 34 with a 'deluxe' walnut stock} I have pushes Basics over 1000f/s and Vogel green 4.495 over 940f/s and is very accurate. Easy to cock with sharp clean recoil. Grackles have been dropped at 55m+ with this rig. I got this rifle in the late 1980's from a friend that owned a shop / shooting range.

Regularly shoot soda cans at 80m+ and paintball glued to golf tee at 40m+ {although the paintball usually takes several shots for me to get it right}
Upgraded Diana 34 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles