Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pistols » Crosman 2240 .177 ? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Big Ern
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Beautiful 2240 Al, love the breech, do you still have it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:41 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Big Ern wrote:
Beautiful 2240 Al, love the breech, do you still have it?

I do still have the Breech but the rest of the gun I converted to a 5 shot auto loader, when I get time I will rebuild it as it did win the airgun of the month on the Airgun Artisans site, or I may possibly use it on a new lightweight QB78 build.

Al

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
ZipSnipe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
aah so your eliminating the radius and just doing a angled cut.

What about that lil transfer port do you think having a flat surface up against the o-rings will effect the seal?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:18 am Reply with quote
Alstone
ZipSnipe wrote:
What about that lil transfer port do you think having a flat surface up against the o-rings will effect the seal?

There is an hole straight through the brass breech where the seal goes, I use PTFE material to make the seals and this seals the valve to the barrel, so the breech has no effect on it.

Al

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote
ZipSnipe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dammit Al !! I should have done it your way, I even gave a second thought right before I commenced to cutting with my homemade paddle bit with its horrible rake. Now one of the two breeches I was making has been gouged out by about .050 as the paddle bit started sinking into the breech to my horrified surprise.

Usually when a cutter gets sucked into the part, the cutter actually has a good rake and is sharp but was not tightened enough. Mine horrible rake somewhat sharp and I thought I had it tight.

Now I am debating on shelling $23 for a ball nose endmill so it can be done right.

The whole kicker was I was done with the radius on both breeches and decided to touch it a little with the paddle bit. :-(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:17 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Cutting a radius in to s square block using a lathe can be tricky, especially the setting up of the block. Using a milling machine with a ball end cutter would be better and easier, or even using the ball end in a lathe, the only reason I didn’t go down that route was because of cost, over here ball nose cutters are expensive and unless you are more than one breech not cost effective.

The slot method is easy to do and any size peg cutter will do, I use a counter sink bit for the bevel.

I was just looking at the link for the guy making a 2240 breech, and a good idea which he uses and I do the same is to make the breech longer, so you can use two grub screws to hold the barrel in, it makes for a better job.

Just to make you feel better Zip I destroyed the first breach with it running off center, so your not alone. Smile

Al

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
ZipSnipe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yeah what I did on the milling machine at first was use a fly cutter with the breech standing vertical , this would have been fine if I could have done the full length in one shot but I had to flip the breech. The problem with doing it this way is now the direction of cut goes one way halfway down the breech and makes it off center.

But anyway I was able to copy your method on the milling machine and both breeches have been saved but not exactly pretty on bottom but make all the important contact with the co2 tube.

My next problem is I realized now that to sweeten the sale of my cnc machine awhile back I threw in my center/edge finder. This makes using the milling machine to find center extremely difficult.

I believe there is a way to find the center of a block using my dial indicator but I need to go research how to do it again. I have to do it on the mill to be able to drill the 7/16 barrel hole and it has to be exact dead on.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pistols