Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Heavy Pellet Performance at ~31 FPE
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Heavy Pellet Performance at ~31 FPE 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 2998
Location: Coalmont, BC
I got the opportunity today to do some Ballistics Coefficient and accuracy testing today with heavy pellets in my 22XX PCP.... I cranked the power up to the current maximum (~31 FPE) and shot 5 shot strings through my Chrony at the muzzle and at 25 yards.... then calculated the BC for each pellet using ChairGun2:

JSB Heavy 18.0 gr. @ 898 fps - BC = 0.039
H&N Baracuda (Kodiak) 21.0 gr. @ 821 fps - BC = 0.051
H&N Rabbit Magnum II 24.8 gr. @ 749 fps - BC = 0.072
Predator Big Boy 26.0 gr @ 738 fps - BC = 0.030
Eun Jin Domed 28.7 gr. @ 699 fps - BC = 0.048
Eun Jin Pointed 32.4 gr @ 653 fps - BC = 0.044

Also tested (because I didn't have them when I did earlier tests) with the gun dialed back to previous power ~ 25 FPE:

Beeman Hollow Point 14.3 gr @ 890 fps - BC = 0.022
Hatsan Domed 14.3 gr @ 884 fps - BC = 0.021

As you can see, the new H&N Rabbit Magnum II has the best Ballistics Coefficient, and the highest I have ever seen for a pellet.... However, it is still a long way from that of a .22 Short subsonic 29 gr. which is 0.122.... I tested a couple of 14.3 gr. pellets at close to 1000 fps, and I notice the Ballistics Coefficient is dropping off significantly at those velocities.... Even the 18.0 gr. JSB Heavy had a 10% poorer BC at 900 fps than it did at 820.... On the other hand, the Kodiak was almost 10% better at 820 fps than it was at 750.... Perhaps there is a "best" velocity when it comes to BC at around the mid 800 fps range, I don't know.... Shocked

I then shot some 5-shot groups from the bench at 20 yards with the following results, pellets listed best to worst:

JSB Heavy - 0.4" CTC
H&N Baracuda - 0.5" CTC
Predator Big Boy - 0.5" CTC
Eun Jin Pointed - 0.7" CTC
Beeman Hollow Point - 0.8" CTC
EunJin Domed - 0.9" CTC
Rabbit Magnum II - 3.7" CTC and 2" to the left!
Hatsan Domed - 4.0" CTC

All the pellets produced acceptable to good accuracy, enough for further testing except for the Hatsan and the new H&N Rabbit Magnum IIs.... I have read in another thread that members are not happy with the accuracy of these new, non-waisted H&N pellets, and unfortunately I have to second that assessment.... too bad, because their BC is excellent.... Rolling Eyes

Bob

_________________
Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
Airsonal: Too many to count!
View user's profile Send private message
Heavy Pellet Performance at ~31 FPE 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.