Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Mods to a quest 800?
Mods to a quest 800? 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:52 pm Reply with quote
twar
What type of mods can be done to a crosman quest 800 .22 for either better performance or long term durability?

Are their any aftermarket springs that will fit it? I hear of Maccuri? springs...is their one made to fit the quest 800? Any advice is appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Some modifications are possible.

A barrel re-crown may be in order. You need to look at the crown it has right now and see if it's chewed up (not that you would have had anything to do with this- Crosman has notoriously had issues with proper crowning). To check the crown it can be seen for the most part by looking down the barrel- but not completely- the front site assembly blocks the front flat/edge- so it can be a bit tough to see properly. If the crown is bad, it will decrease accuracy and consistency on the gun.

Next- yes, springs are available. Jim Maccari ('Maccari' or 'JM' as he/his business is often referred to as: http://www.airguns.citymax.com ) had custom springs for the Quest/B19 in the past which were called "Tarantula" units- a few less coils than the stock unit and thicker wire giving it more pressure without taking up more space in the gun's tube. He no longer makes this particular unit- but may have other, more generic units available. One of the members here "airbuddy3" sells springs and seals for most springers and I believe he bought a stockpile of the genuine Maccari springs long ago- but he also has generic replacement springs as well. Leave a note for him in the "For Sale" topic he has posted or send him a PM and see what he can get for you.

Typically, the replacement springs for the Quest will gain 30-60fps at the muzzle- but some 'tuning' with the number of spacers may be required when you install a replacement spring (spacers are basically 1/4" steel washers, 2 to 4 of them- a trial and error sort of deal as each gun can be slightly different and washer thicknesses can vary).

Other good options for improving the Quest include a complete disassembly and polishing of parts that rub together- i.e. trigger parts, as well as a proper re-lubing of the internals. While in there- check the piston seal as well to make sure it isn't damaged as this will cause a loss of energy.

As for shooting- the trigger on the Quest is a bit of a pain. I've looked at about 6 different trigger re-designs/parts from aftermarket people and the best appears to be the GTX III trigger from Bob Werner (Charliedatuna): http://charliedatuna.com which is almost a complete trigger re-do and allows for proper adjustment, unlike the Crosman 'adjustment' setup.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

For tips on upgrading look in the "How Not to Upgrade a Springer" topic here in the Rifles section- that is a Quest (.177) that was used in the post and was butchered by someone. The Quest 800 and the 1000 are essentially the same gun- in fact the 800 and the 1000 only differ in respect to the barrel size - .22 vs .177 (the detuned Quest 500 has a mix-match setup of parts in it).

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
Mods to a quest 800? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles