Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Gas Ram Conversion For Gamo Whisper .22 Does It Make A Diff
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Gas Ram Conversion For Gamo Whisper .22 Does It Make A Diff 
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Posts: 1379
Being sort of a newbie to springers,I would like some advice from the guys who have the knowledge I need.

I have a Gamo Whisper .22 that I bought a few weeks ago.I didn't like the trigger so I installed the GRT III,and like it a-lot.I am considering installing the Gas Ram conversion in this gun.I need to know the truth.Is it worth it?

The reason why I ask is that I now know that there is a-lot of hype around this gun.In all honesty I'm not really impressed by the so called sound moderator.It is only a tad quieter than my Ruger Airhawk.Also I have found out that the PBA ammo is crap.Who cares about velocity,when you groups are inconsistent.I also feel that the velocities of 750fps. with lead,and 950 with PBA,are a-little inflated as well.I don't have a way of proving this,so maybe I should shut my mouth on that.

I like this gun,it's just not quite what I expected.I got to shoot my buddies Benjamin Super Streak .22 last week,and that gun really rips out a pellet!Had I known the difference I would have spent the extra $50 to get the Benjamin.

So has anyone done the gas ram conversion on the Whisper,and is it worth the $109.00?Did it make a any difference or is this just more hype?
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
sniper
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 3752
Location: Star, Idaho
look at this.

http://www.airgunweb.com/2009/02/gamo-whisper-csi-special-edition-with-air-venturi-gas-ram-and-bsa-3-12x50-ao-scope/

_________________
I believe in gun control,
If there's a gun around I
want to be controlling it.......
View user's profile Send private message
Re: Gas Ram Conversion For Gamo Whisper .22 Does It Make A D 
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:59 am Reply with quote
AASkiff
New Member
New Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Posts: 9
Location: Irvine, California
Mark5043 wrote:
Being sort of a newbie to springers,I would like some advice from the guys who have the knowledge I need.

I have a Gamo Whisper .22 that I bought a few weeks ago.I didn't like the trigger so I installed the GRT III,and like it a-lot.I am considering installing the Gas Ram conversion in this gun.I need to know the truth.Is it worth it?

The reason why I ask is that I now know that there is a-lot of hype around this gun.In all honesty I'm not really impressed by the so called sound moderator.It is only a tad quieter than my Ruger Airhawk.Also I have found out that the PBA ammo is crap.Who cares about velocity,when you groups are inconsistent.I also feel that the velocities of 750fps. with lead,and 950 with PBA,are a-little inflated as well.I don't have a way of proving this,so maybe I should shut my mouth on that.

I like this gun,it's just not quite what I expected.I got to shoot my buddies Benjamin Super Streak .22 last week,and that gun really rips out a pellet!Had I known the difference I would have spent the extra $50 to get the Benjamin.

So has anyone done the gas ram conversion on the Whisper,and is it worth the $109.00?Did it make a any difference or is this just more hype?


Mark, after you lube the rifle internals it will quiet down. What you hear mostly is the power plant. 20 meters away people won't hear it. That compensator does work. I had a Whisper also. Out of the box it is not a "whisper" for sure, after a lube tune, new seal, and some weight added to the piston I got it to be as quiet as it is on the GAMO video.

Gas spring will smooth out the firing cycle also. It is better for sure, lasts longer, can be left cocked for a long time, no spring fatique, and will produce more consistant velocity. GAMO uses cheap chinese springs that go out fast. Air Venturi gas-springs are not the best but are ok to use, in my opinion.

A good quality spring like on Air Arms springers will also last a very long time, but again we are talking here about GAMO. And their quality went down rather. But gas spring will improve your Whisper no doubt.

_________________
AA TX200 HC .177
Beeman RX2 .177
BSA Sportsman HV .22
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
OK Thanks Sniper.This answered a-lot of my questions. 
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Posts: 1379
sniper wrote:
look at this.

http://www.airgunweb.com/2009/02/gamo-whisper-csi-special-edition-with-air-venturi-gas-ram-and-bsa-3-12x50-ao-scope/
View user's profile Send private message
Re: Gas Ram Conversion For Gamo Whisper .22 Does It Make A D 
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Posts: 1379
[quote="AASkiff"]
Mark5043 wrote:
Being sort of a newbie to springers,I would like some advice from the guys who have the knowledge I need.

I have a Gamo Whisper .22 that I bought a few weeks ago.I didn't like the trigger so I installed the GRT III,and like it a-lot.I am considering installing the Gas Ram conversion in this gun.I need to know the truth.Is it worth it?

The reason why I ask is that I now know that there is a-lot of hype around this gun.In all honesty I'm not really impressed by the so called sound moderator.It is only a tad quieter than my Ruger Airhawk.Also I have found out that the PBA ammo is crap.Who cares about velocity,when you groups are inconsistent.I also feel that the velocities of 750fps. with lead,and 950 with PBA,are a-little inflated as well.I don't have a way of proving this,so maybe I should shut my mouth on that.

I like this gun,it's just not quite what I expected.I got to shoot my buddies Benjamin Super Streak .22 last week,and that gun really rips out a pellet!Had I known the difference I would have spent the extra $50 to get the Benjamin.

So has anyone done the gas ram conversion on the Whisper,and is it worth the $109.00?Did it make a any difference or is this just more hype?


Mark, after you lube the rifle internals it will quiet down. What you hear mostly is the power plant. 20 meters away people won't hear it. That compensator does work. I had a Whisper also. Out of the box it is not a "whisper" for sure, after a lube tune, new seal, and some weight added to the piston I got it to be as quiet as it is on the GAMO video.

Gas spring will smooth out the firing cycle also. It is better for sure, lasts longer, can be left cocked for a long time, no spring fatique, and will produce more consistant velocity. GAMO uses cheap chinese springs that go out fast. Air Venturi gas-springs are not the best but are ok to use, in my opinion.

A good quality spring like on Air Arms springers will also last a very long time, but again we are talking here about GAMO. And their quality went down rather. But gas spring will improve your Whisper no doubt.[

Ok Thanks for the info.I don't know a-lot about lubes for the guns.What do I need to smooth it all out?I was thinking of some moly grease on the spring first?Trying to get rid of the twang,and vibration.Is this a good start?
View user's profile Send private message
Gas Ram Conversion For Gamo Whisper .22 Does It Make A Diff 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.