Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing » Anyone familiar with Macarri's glue on piston buttons?
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Anyone familiar with Macarri's glue on piston buttons? 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:37 am Reply with quote
333mmm
New Member
New Member
Joined: 24 Nov 2008
Posts: 5
Has anyone used Maccari’s glue on piston buttons? Are they effective? How difficult are they to install? It seems that if they’re not sanded down very evenly that the piston would ride along the tube sloppily. What is the best way to sand them evenly? With the piston chucked to a hand drill and sanded with sandpaper held in the hand? I guess they’re very durable because Maccari says on his site that he checked the buttons after twenty thousand shots and they were still in good condition.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:40 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 4382
Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA
I looked into those buttons for my Mendoza project:
http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=2396&start=15

I experimented super glueing soda bottle material to steel, and no matter how I tried it separated (always from the steel - the glue stuck to the plastic). Cleaner/degreaser, Oops!, brake cleaner, Dawn dish liquid, muriatic acid - no luck. So I went to the local welding shop and had a glob of brazing rod globbed on all the way around.

I worked that down by hand with a file, measuring frequently with a dial caliper. I turn a lot of things with a drill, but never that long or that wide - they just wobble and one side gets ground down at the expense of the others. I would have spun it had a lathe been available, but not with a drill.

Should you opt for the buttons, I would certainly follow Maccari's instructions. I would be compulsive about degreasing the piston. I would buy fresh, new super glue of a name brand - not the generic dollar store stuff. To size the buttons, I would get manicure emery boards:
http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=2875
Take one stroke per button, and try it for fit. One more stroke per button, and try it - and so forth.

While you're in there remember to de-burr all the sharp edges with a Dremel or diamond file. Polish the spring ends with 600 grit or finer abrasive cloth. Think about thrust washers.

_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote
333mmm
New Member
New Member
Joined: 24 Nov 2008
Posts: 5
Slavia wrote:
I looked into those buttons for my Mendoza project:
http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=2396&start=15

I experimented super glueing soda bottle material to steel, and no matter how I tried it separated (always from the steel - the glue stuck to the plastic). Cleaner/degreaser, Oops!, brake cleaner, Dawn dish liquid, muriatic acid - no luck. So I went to the local welding shop and had a glob of brazing rod globbed on all the way around.

I worked that down by hand with a file, measuring frequently with a dial caliper. I turn a lot of things with a drill, but never that long or that wide - they just wobble and one side gets ground down at the expense of the others. I would have spun it had a lathe been available, but not with a drill.

Should you opt for the buttons, I would certainly follow Maccari's instructions. I would be compulsive about degreasing the piston. I would buy fresh, new super glue of a name brand - not the generic dollar store stuff. To size the buttons, I would get manicure emery boards:
http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=2875
Take one stroke per button, and try it for fit. One more stroke per button, and try it - and so forth.

While you're in there remember to de-burr all the sharp edges with a Dremel or diamond file. Polish the spring ends with 600 grit or finer abrasive cloth. Think about thrust washers.
Did you rough up the surface area of the piston where the buttons were to be applied before degreasing? Someone on another site did this as was able to apply the buttons.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 4382
Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA
Quote:
Did you rough up the surface area


With a file.

If you do this (and it's successful) report back so I can figure out what I did wrong.

_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
kanyon
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 09 Aug 2008
Posts: 1582
Location: New Zealand
If yer can....Tig or braze 3 blobs of bronze on the piston and remachine them to a close fit.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:37 pm Reply with quote
TerrySpringer
New Member
New Member
Joined: 06 Jul 2008
Posts: 9
i have used these.
when i glued them on the piston everything seemed fine. they were rock solid after they dried up, but as i was sliding the piston back in the comp tube one of the buttons got caught up on the edge of the comp tube and popped right off.
i installed it anyway to see if i could notice any difference. so i fired a about 100 shots or so and i didn't notice any difference in the fire cycle. only noticeable difference was a 30 fps drop in velocity..
so off they came..
View user's profile Send private message
Anyone familiar with Macarri's glue on piston buttons? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.