Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » My Experience of a Crosman 1077
My Experience of a Crosman 1077 
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:30 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Well the great day arrived I get to try out a Crosman 1077, the guy who is lending it to me for the evening is basically a rifle man he collects them, he has a go with my pistols and visa versa with his rifles. I should explain a bit about my local club it has a 10 lane range, bar and café, also you can shoot anything you like provided it is legal, some nights you could be in the next lane to a powder burner or a rim fire Remington 700, the targets are set at 20 meters but can be adjusted.

First impressions of the 1077 were favourable it had a plastic stock which seemed quite good and the gun looked very tidy, it was about one year old but had only shot a few hundred pellets, so I loaded it up with gas and a full mag and prepared to show off too the rim fire guys. Pop! the first pellet managed to find its way to the end of the barrel and hit the target stand about halfway between the target and the floor this is at 20m, so after a few jives from some of the guys about getting me a chair to stand on so as to allow for pellet drop between the butts and target I gave it another go and things improved after a while, but targets at 20 meters was a bit much for it, mind you 12 shots off as fast as you can pull the trigger got a bit of attention until the last couple bounced off the floor on there way to the target.

So rather disillusioned with the 1077 I gave it a good inspection and I have to admit even if it means upsetting Crosman disciples it was not in the class that you could call an airgun, popgun would be more appropriate, and as for the trigger I think it travels as far as the pellets. Over in the UK we have been bought up on English airguns which were made from a solid block of steel and every thing was machined in, not a folded tube with bits welded on so it does go against the grain trying to get used to a 1077.

Anyway my mate said he thought I would not like it so he had bought another airgun for me to try, off he went to his car and came back with a Walther Winchester 1894 lever action .177 Carbine. Wow! this really got the attention of the rim fire and powder burner gang, it was absolutely beautiful, we put two gas capsules up the butt loaded an 8 shot mag ( it takes Umarex mags ) and blasted away at the targets, brilliant! For a plinking gun this has got to be the ultimate, it is single action so the trigger is quite light and accuracy is not bad 40mm groups at 20m open sights, 60 good shots and the power does not drop off until right at the end.

That’s it then I’m going for the Winchester its powerful enough without modding (575fps) and accurate using iron sights, saying that the rear sight is the only piece of plastic on the gun but that can be changed, and a scope would spoil it, the only problem is fitting a silencer but that would spoil the looks as well, so I guess I will have to be a noisy neighbour, but a happy one.

I know I did slag off the Crosman and the Winchester does cost twice as much, so I suppose for the price and a bit of work the 1077 would be a pretty handy gun. But I can’t be bothered.
Now where’s that Winchester shop ?.

PS.
Thinking about the quality of Crosman airguns brings me to the conclusion that Crosman are a crafty company who have got a whole market idea to themselves, build a airgun that is very basic but with the possibility of being upgraded by the customer, then sell him a lot of bolt on goodies, it appeal’s to the north American ideal “we can rebuild it we can make it better” then after spending xx amount of Dollars they finish up with a gun that is at best medico, when they could have bought an European airgun and had a bit of class. When you think about it there is more modding of Crosman guns than any other gun in the world, Quality guns don’t need modding.

AL

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:19 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
I would agree- Crosman (and Daisy now too it seems) pretty much carry the "low end" of the market. While this has certainly allowed for a huge base of home improvers/tuners- part of the problem is that being at the lower end is that it seems to have translated into NO quality control in their factory(-ies?).

Sounds like the 1077 you tried was problematic, and underpowered. I've mentioned this a couple times previously- I own 2 1077s and have had my hands on a few others. Virtually none of them came close to the advertised "maximum" 625fps- most of them sat around 400-450fps out of the box. One was even at 350fps- i.e. nearly half it's stated "maximum".

If you only shot one 12-shot clip before pellets were bouncing off the floor- that gun in particular has serious problems- even modified 1077's approaching the 700fps mark will still get 25 solid shots from a powerlet before dropping off.

One of the other problems relating to a lack of Crosman QC is mis-shipment of guns. For example, the United States and United Kingdom versions of the 1077 are "standard" whereas 1077s shipped to Canada are "detuned" to a stated maximum velocity of 495fps. The problem- Canadian 1077s NEVER get close to 495fps (if a 'standard' version rarely achieves its maximum of 625fps- what do we expect a "detuned" gun to do?). The highest recorded velocity I've ever heard of coming out of a as-from-factory detuned 1077 is 440fps with 7.9gr pellets. Now- with the lack of QC, there has apparently been a few instances where people in the US have received the detuned "Canadian" version of the 1077 with no way of knowing- until they look at the valve tip in the receiver body and find a tan/grey colored unit instead of the black tip that should be there- i.e. Crosman's packaging/shipping department screwed up somewhere.

If the gun you were testing was working properly, and was anywhere near 625fps- you should have been able to shoot 1" groups at 35m and get 30-40 shots per powerlet before starting to drop off. If that didn't happen- that specific gun needs work.

Don't misunderstand- I'm not defending Crosman at all- a gun like that should never have gotten out the door from the factory- but it sounds like the one you were testing was obviously, and far too commonly, defective.

In any event- good luck with the Winchester- hopefully their QC is a lot better than that at Crosman!

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Hi Eric
I must admit the gas was getting a bit low when I tried the rapid fire thing and we got over 60 shots out of it, so something must have been wrong. The lad who owns it said that it had been like that since he bought it, he does tend to buy a gun shoot it a few times then put it in the cupbord when another shiny gun comes along and very rarely sells them on, more money than sense, pity a cheap Winchester would have been nice

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
From what I've read about the 1077 I refrained from buying one.

In the end it's like comparing a peugeot to a mercedes. How much you tune it, it won't become a mercedes. That's what I think.

I DO think that my Airmagnum would look great in a nicely crafted wooden stock... Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:19 am Reply with quote
upland hunter
I own a "Canadian" Version of the 1077, and my only complaint with it is that it breaks easly when droped, usually it will begin to leak. With that being said, the 1077 you tried out deffintally had a problem, probley happened during shipping. It more than likly got bumped around a bit Rolling Eyes
My 1077 will penatrate a soup can at apx. 30 meters, at room temp with a full powerlet Co2. At apx. 15 meters, at room temp, and with a full powerlet Co2, it will pentrate through BOTH sides of the soup can. This is using coperhead .177 pointed pellets.
When using the 88g Co2 Cartridge with the A.S. adapter I find that the gun seems to have a bit more power, and diffentally shoots more constant full power shots. The best desgin of the AS 1077 is that there is no "freez-up" when shooting one shot after another, therefor all shots are the same power no matter how fast you pull the trigger, until you start to run out of Co2 of course.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Hi Upland Hunter, welcome to the site, you are right there was a fault on the 1077 I tried out, since then the guy who owns it took it apart and found a blockage in the pipe that connects the Co2 capsuls to the gas valve he cleaned it out and now it shoots Ok, he thinks it was some lube he used each time he changed a Co2 capsul, possibly he was using the wrong stuff.

AL
My Experience of a Crosman 1077 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles