Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Target Shooting: Casual, Fun and Competition » Exploding targets!!! Goto page 1, 2  Next
Exploding targets!!! 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Does anyone here create their own fun targets?

Here's one of my favorite Fun Target setups, It's called "The Exploding Target"

The Exploding Target is basically a lynx can, methylated spirit and some old dry news papers.

WARNING Choose a nice big open space for this Fun Target, Make sure there is nothing that burns easily nearby, For example trees or dry grass, But just in case have a fire extinguisher or have water nearby.

Right Here's how you do it.

Step 1: Place the newspapers on the ground.

Step 2: Now carefully soak a ring of methylated spirits on the newspaper roughly the size of a CD.

Step 3: Now setup your air rifle about 20 to 30meters away, Make sure it's loaded and ready to go, But don't forget to enable the safety.

Step 4: Now with your trusty lighter walk up to the target and light the ring of meths (The flame from the meths will be almost invisible during the daytime so just hold your hand over the news paper, If it's hot it's lit)

Step 5: Place the lynx can in the center of the ring (Don't worry it wont go off instantly as the meths does not burn very hot when it is soaked in newspapers.

Step 6: Now run back to your air rifle, Aim, disable the safety and take the shot.

BOOM, The pellet pierces the can, resulting in a huge fireball that goes up and turns into smoke. (The best part is that it smells of your favorite fragrance after)

Don't forget to put out the newspaper after, Because chances are, It's still lit.

Remember to treat fire with respect, As fooling around with pressurized flammables and fire can be fatal Smiley War

Stevie Thumb Up!

P.S. Here one I shot earlier... BOOOM

Last edited by StevieLaner7777 on Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sounds amusing. I would assume people probably don't want to do this indoors? Slow and Out There

And one question- What the heck is a "lynx can"? That term doesn't mean anything to us on the other side of the ocean!

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
Lynx Cans!!! 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:44 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Hey

Here's the answer to your question!

A lynx can is a pressurized cylinder of deodorant that is used as a body spray to make ya smell nice, I'm not sure what you yanks use instead of it, Lynx is actually the name of the company that produce the product, Lynx is probably the most popular deodorant in the UK due to is price as it is reasonably cheap and can be bought in gift packs, It is also known for it's explosive capabilities and flammability as well as it's vast amount of different fragrances.

Here's an image of a few of the different types that I had lying around.

Shame you can't actually smell them!

Stevie Thumb Up!

P.S. So how did you find out that I'm from the other side of the Big Pond? I was trying to stay undercover, Now you've blown it!!! NoNoNo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:30 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
StevieLaner7777 wrote:
P.S. So how did you find out that I'm from the other side of the Big Pond? I was trying to stay undercover, Now you've blown it!!! NoNoNo

Your questions on the 1077 forum about finding stuff in the UK sorta gave you up. Wink

That sort of men's body spray stuff is here too- one brand is called "Axe" and there's a couple others too but I personally have no idea what the names of them are. However, they're not cheap from what I understand (big marketing campaigns attached to them- try to make out anybody can get 'lucky' with the young ladies if they drown themselves in it).

However, I bet pretty much any aerosol spraycan should work- it's the propellant thats flammable- so likely a hairspray or spraypaint can would work too.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:06 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
I like the idea of exploding deodorant cans, but I should think you would expensive in "lynx".
What I use is the crown toppers off beer bottles, fill each bottle top with petrol (gasoline) light with a match and retire to your shooting position, by the time you have got there the petrol will be quite hot so when you hit the bottle top it vaporizes in to a fire ball. and the good part is that you can drink the beer, mind you after a while it is difficult trying to hit anything. have Fun!.

AL
Lynx Deoderents 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:22 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Hi

AirGunEric wrote:
Quote:
Your questions on the 1077 forum about finding stuff in the UK sorta gave you up.

You must mean the "Silencers in the UK" Post on the Crosman 1077 forum.

Whoops! I guess I forgot about that little doozie!

So now that everyone knows, I should just admit it, "I'm form the UK, Where everything is about 1/4 more expensive than the USA, Where the Rifles fire silently and where the best Lathes in the world come from" (Myfords and Colchesters).

Back to the subject, Lynx deodorant costs about £2.48, That's about $4.89, Which is a bit on the pricey side for 150ml of it, But I usually use about half of it before I blow it up.

Anyways! You probably could use other types of pressurized flammables like cheap hairspray, The only reason I said to use lynx is because I am more familiar with the explosion reaction of it, As it goes up in one big fireball, NOT an explosion that spreads fire everywhere.

Stevie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:00 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Hey Alstone

Sound like a great idea, pretty inexpencive as well!

Question: How big a fireball does the bottle top of petol make?

Joke!!! Eek

A 150ml Lynx can fireball is about 2 to 4 Meters wide max.

Not that it's easy to mesure it!!! Wink

Stevie Thumb Up!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Hi Stevie
Nice one!. With a bottle top of petrol its only about 2 feet across, but if you are quick and a good shot you can get 6 in a row, after that things get a bit hazy.

AL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:42 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
I think I'm glad I don't live too close to you two- if I did I'd be afraid my house might be burnt to the ground when I get home one night. Giant Grin

Run Away

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Exploding targets!!! 
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:28 am Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Video Coming soon!!!

Stevie Thumb Up!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Alstone wrote:
I like the idea of exploding deodorant cans, but I should think you would expensive in "lynx".
What I use is the crown toppers off beer bottles, fill each bottle top with petrol (gasoline) light with a match and retire to your shooting position, by the time you have got there the petrol will be quite hot so when you hit the bottle top it vaporizes in to a fire ball. and the good part is that you can drink the beer, mind you after a while it is difficult trying to hit anything. have Fun!.

AL

I think that's quite irresponsible.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
broommaster2000 wrote:
Alstone wrote:

AL

I think that's quite irresponsible.

It took you a while thinking about that!.

It's not irresponsible, it's was scientific research into the properties of hot gasoline vapor igniting and it's effects on beer vapor, but after 20 bottles it had no effect and I don't rember what happend after that. But one good thing came out of the research, and that was that the Co2 got warmer and warmer and the fps went up considerably, so for winter shooting take plenty of beer.

AL
Hi All 
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:37 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
As long as it's done in a safe environment it perfectly fine!! NOT Irresponsible!!!

Good research, Sounds like fun!!!

Stevie Thumb Up!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:51 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
"Research" is a good thing. The more of this research that must be conducted, the better- just don't blow yourself up- with all that Co2 and beer and heat- I hear methane can be dangerous. Mr. Green

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:07 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
It depends on if you're drinking the beer or not.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Target Shooting: Casual, Fun and Competition