Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » RWS 350 Mag
RWS 350 Mag 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:07 am Reply with quote
sawhorseray
I'm new to the forum and have just ordered a RWS 350 mag with scope in .22cal. I previously owned a Beeman R-7 in .177cal which I just presented to my grandson for his 12th birthday. I plan to replace the scope that comes with the 350 mag, figuring it's junk, with a Bushnell 4x12AO that I had on a Remington 17HMR, until that rifle disintegrated in my hands. I paid $325 for the Bushnell 16 years back and a friend assures me it's a quality air rifle scope. I was torn between getting the RWS or a Beeman R-1 and the difference was made by Cabelas not carrying Beeman, this is a Xmas gift bought with a Cabelas gift card. My main usage after break-in will be varmint hunting and pest control. I like the extra power and am hoping I'll be satisfied with the accuracy. I hunt big game with a Weatherby 270 Ultralight Mag with a 4x16x50mm Swarovski scope, so I'm used to a little recoil. I'm wondering if there's a consensus on a optimum pellet for my needs, and if I should be considering a Weaver base mount. Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts and help. RAY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:41 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
The 350, as well as any spring-rifle, has the familiar double-recoil, slightly higher than you are likely used to on the R7. You shouldn't need Weaver-type mounts if you use the scope stop hole in the rifle tube (I'm assuming the 350 still has one) to retain the rear dovetail mount from moving backwards.

As for pellet, same as always, try anythiing and everything and see what works best on a/the specific rifle.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:46 am Reply with quote
sawhorseray
Thanks for that Eric. I'll just see how things hold up after changing out the scope that comes with the package. I watched a couple of youtube reviews and it seems the 350 mag shot the best patters with the Stoeger X-Power and the H&A Field Target Trophy pellets in 22cal. I'll start with those and see how things shake out. RAY

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Just to mention it- all Stoeger pellets are re-named H&N pellets. The 'X-Power' for example, are re-labeled H&N Field Target Trophy Power- so trying both is a waste of time- try either of these and then some others.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:44 am Reply with quote
sawhorseray
The RWS 350 mag arrives on my doorstep sometime this coming Friday. I've gleaned quite a bit of insight from searching this forum and watching some youtube videos. It seems like removing every screw on the rifle, wiping down with rubbing alcohol, and replacing with a small drop of Loctite on the screw is recommended. I assume this is done one screw at a time so the rifle isn't laying in a dozen pieces. I checked with my local police department, completely legal to shoot the 350 in my backyard, of course I'm liable for any mishap. I've got a perfect 25 yard range set down the side of my house to a target I've made from 2x4's and 3/4" plywood on each side, 30" x 40", penetration won't be a problem with three inches of solid wood. I'd also like to remove the front and rear iron sights from the rifle, tho I'm wondering if the screws that hold them in place would fill the hole flush after removal. The sarge at the PD said neighbors would most likely call the cops, who then have to come out to my house and check the setup, then tell the complainers that I was legal to go. I'm a CCW permit holder, not easy to get in CA, and I don't want to do anything that could possibly get it revoked. RAY

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
sawhorseray
After 250 shots I'm completely dialed in with the H&N Field Target Trophy pellets, 14.66gr. I got a can of Kodiaks and they group well, but nothing like the H&N pellets, putting one on top of another at 25 yards. I've removed the iron open sight and every screw, then loktite'd everything one screw at a time. I had to cut down the screw that held the rear iron sight in place in order for it to fully seat. The accuracy is incredible and with the sights removed the 350 is really a fine, sleek looking air rifle. RAY

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Glad it worked out well!

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

RWS 350 Mag 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles