Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Daisy 880.
Daisy 880. 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
DavidSaunders
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
before I start here
I noticed someone has posted in my name, it has been a few years since I was on any air gun related form. Whoever it was seems to have left it alone for a bit, so I hope that I get to keep my name from here out, also hope the person was good and reasonable. Last post I made was shortly after joining, when I posted that I would bow out of the target competition because I was using a Daisy 880, and a little about that. Since then I have not been around any forums relating to air guns of any kind.

On to what I want to say:
There seem to be a lot of people that want to modify there Daisy 880 for this or that. For me the Daisy 880 is a pretty good pellet gun as it is. I did remove that flat spring to make the trigger a bit smoother, and I did tape the barrel to make it a bit more precise of a shooter, though other than that the 880 is quite enough out of the box.

I am a bit of a survivalist, so I stick with what puts food on the table, and is fun. The Daisy 880 meets these needs. More than powerful enough for what I can usually find to eat, and accurate enough to go toe to toe with any other I have shot.

The Crosman 2289 may have gotten me back into air guns, though it required a lot of modifying. The Daisy 880 has kept me in air guns since then, it is just reliable and simple to maintain and shoot.

I may not have been posting anything, I have been reading a little though. I have read about the different pellets in these pump rifles, so I need to say that I use the H&N sniper magnum pellets in my Daisy 880, and it does great with them. Have also tried others, even have those Winchester domed that a lot of people talk about they are my backup pellet of choice.

I am a survivalist:
I try to be ready to survive any bad situation that may happen, this is a big part of why I choose what I choose.

The Daisy 880 fits this perfectly for a number of reasons. The Daisy 880 is light weight, the Daisy 880 is accurate, the Daisy 880 is powerful enough, the Daisy 880 is reliable, the Daisy 880 is pretty durable.[/b]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:14 am Reply with quote
Bob La Londe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have owned three Daisy 880s, and of those only one (1) was what I consider accurate. It was my first one, and somebody at Daisy had screwed up and put the rifled barrel that went in the 881 in my 880. When I sent my 880 to Daisy to be rebuilt they didn't send me back my gun. The sent me an inferior bastard step cousin. Since the 880 was my first real air gun I kinda had a soft spot for the original one.

I guess Daisy gave me one of my first lessons in life about hiring work done. Just because you pay a professional to do something doesn't mean you will get professional results.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:02 pm Reply with quote
DavidSaunders
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob La Londe wrote:
I have owned three Daisy 880s, and of those only one (1) was what I consider accurate. It was my first one, and somebody at Daisy had screwed up and put the rifled barrel that went in the 881 in my 880. When I sent my 880 to Daisy to be rebuilt they didn't send me back my gun. The sent me an inferior bastard step cousin. Since the 880 was my first real air gun I kinda had a soft spot for the original one.

I guess Daisy gave me one of my first lessons in life about hiring work done. Just because you pay a professional to do something doesn't mean you will get professional results.

Yea the Daisy 880 does have some issues before removing the flat spring and taping the barrel. Though once those two simple things are done the Daisy 880 is a very accurate little rifle.

Admitedly if I want to show off I grab a Daisy Powerline 953 TargetPro Smile . Though that is almost cheating.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
DavidSaunders
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The one downside of the Daisy 880 is the specialized cup seals used in the check intake valve thing. This is why I jumped on the Daisy 953 when I had the chance, just standard 90 duro O-Rings for most of the seals.

If it were not for a few things the size of rabbit/squirrel around here I would only use my Daisy 953, though the rabbit and squirrel need the Daisy 880. Mind you I have never actually tried to take them with the Daisy 953, and will not try as there is to much a risk of a less than humane kill.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:07 am Reply with quote
Bob La Londe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
To be honest I never really considered my 880 as a hunting gun although I did some with it. I earned enough hunting leg breakers with it for the bounty to buy my first .22LR.

I'm a bit into over kill these days. I pick up the .25 marauder or the .25 Cricket for most things. To be fair though my longest kill shot was at 94 yards with a .177 Marauder. Took out a gopher when he made the mistake of showing his head when pushing up dirt. I had already ranged the shot while I was waiting for him to show.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:22 am Reply with quote
Wayne361
My first real pellet gun was a 880. Remember saving up my grass cutting money. I paid $65 for a brand new on in i believe 1981. Longest 6 weeks of my life waiting for rifle to be shipped to dealer Smile Got many many years use out of it and killed many black birds, squirrels etc. Finally lent it put to a farmer "friend" to help him with a pigeon problem and never saw the gun again. Great little gun and helped shape my childhood years. Still miss that gun every once in a while.....like now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:54 pm Reply with quote
kodiakdan
Have had an 880 in dads shop for 40 years. Use it to shoot sparrows and starlings when they make the mistake of getting in. It's a smoothbore so we normally just shoot BB's in it. My eyes aren't as good now as they were 20 years ago with open sights but its still accurate. I bought a 922 around 1991 or 92 and liked that gun too. I was deadly with it. Could pick the head off a sparrow with it. Basically looked just like the 880. But it had a 5 shot clip that was real handy when we went into barns and stuff at night in cold weather. You didn't have to fumble around to try and load a pellet in the chamber after every shot. I had several clips loaded and in my pocket when we did that.
Daisy 880. 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles