Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing » walther LGU
walther LGU 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:50 am Reply with quote
le3045
i am hoping some of you wise and knowledgable gentleman could tell me what greases and oils to use on a LGU if i take it down to the spring and piston and where to lube correctly not too much in the wrong spots thank you Lee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Nothing special about lubricating the internals of the LGU vs. any other spring-powered rifle- no combustible lubes in front of the seal (and sparingly behind the seal on the mechanics).

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
Slavia
A little high-content (60%-70%) molybdenum disulfide grease (A.K.A. "moly," MDS) on the spring, guide, and cylinder wall. "A little" means pretend it's paint. Some people swear by a product called Krytox, but it's expensive and I haven't tried it. Pyramydair also carries Walther's proprietary piston lube, but I'm not aware of its composition. Here are a couple of sources for moly:
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Air_Venturi_Moly_Metal_to_Metal_Paste_1_oz/3498
http://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/catalog/item/251484/42989.htm

For anything outside the power plant I assemble with a light grease (Superlube is my choice) and then a drop of oil as needed down the road.

Silicone lubricants are great when one part is synthetic (i.e., "plastic") but not so great for metal-to-metal contact.

Once inside you should consider smoothing, de-burring and polishing things that rub before re-assembly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:21 am Reply with quote
le3045
thanks for the info fellas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:37 am Reply with quote
marc780
You can't go wrong with the information others have supplied...I have seen people on the YT take down videos use moly grease and even moly powder on their LGU's. they just rub the powder into the metal, even the seal, and put it back together. And some people on the forums even use high silicone content Diver's silicone grease (the expensive white stuff) on everything even the spring. The people who use it, swear by it, and there is probably nothing wrong with it. But if the manuf. and so many experts, think the grease should be moly based then I tend to concur.

I found somebody that sells the Walther piston grease and just bought some of that for the piston and seal. And the Air Venturi on the spring. It's probably ok to just use say Air Venturi moly grease on everything. I'm concerned a bit, possibly incorrectly, that it might be slightly too coarse grade for the seal itself, and think that it would be better to use the piston grease on the piston and seal. I don't know if my concerns have any foundation, can probably just use the Air Venturi for everything. But just based on everything I've read that's what I'll do.
walther LGU 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing