Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing » A Better Silencer
A Better Silencer 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
I am always looking for different ways of silencing air rifles, but the problem is the better they are the more complicated the machining gets, apart from the wastage of removed material.

One of the best type of silencer is one that contains what are called “K” type baffles, but the machining of the cones is a time consuming operation plus a high wastage of materials.

So looking around EBay recently I came across some small funnels called “Small Clear Plastic Perfume Diffuser Atomizers Bottle Liquid Filling Funnels” from China. They looked about right to make some K type baffles with, they were made from polycarbonate and the outside diameter of the funnel lip was 30mm, an ideal size for a silencer.

I won’t go into the making of the main silencer body as it is fairly obvious, you just need a back end to fit the rifle barrel, a tube to contain the innards and a front plug to hold everything together.
The important bit is the cone and disc arrangement, you need to trim the small tag off the large end of the funnel and cut the spout off the other, depending on whether you are making a .177 or .22 silencer the hole size needs to be 6mm for .177 and 7mm for .22, so keep cutting back until the hole in the small end of the funnel is the correct size.
Next you require a disc to fit on the large end of the funnel of 30 mm dia, a hole needs to be drilled in the middle big enough to fit over the small end of the following funnel, so it is flush with the hole face if you taper the hole it will fit better. All the is needed to do now is to drill a series of holes around the disc.

On the main body of the silencer fasten the tube to the part that fits on the rifles barrel, put a disc in first then a cone ( small end first ) and keep going until all the cones and Discs are installed they will lock into place and not move if fitted correctly, then fit the front plug and retain with three or four screws, the hole in the plug needs to be 6mm for .177 and 8mm for .22.

I have used mine at 14 flb for .177 and .22 rifles with no problems regarding the strength of the components, plus the sound level is reduced to a whisper. This is the best silencer I have used and better than any airgun silencer I have ever bought, at 25m the sound of the pellet cutting the paper is louder than the gun.

Incidentally I use a quality hand held sound level meter, but I have just found one on Google play which is a free download, and it work just a good on my tablet as the proper meter,

Al

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Mike Lanum
Banned
I just installed an umarex compensator on my ruger air magnum and it doesn't seem to have made any reduction in the noise level. Of course it is a new rifle and I've been told that it will quiet down once broken in. I hope so because I don't think I could shoot it in my back yard without someone calling the police. Has a pretty loud crack to it right now. Just have to carry it into the woods and do my shooting I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:33 am Reply with quote
Alstone
An Umarex silencer will be next to useless as are most of the silencers sold for air guns, another problem with trying to silence a Springer is the noise from the mechanics of the spring system, the better quality the gun the easier to quieten them down. Pcp and Co2 guns are a lot easier than a springer.
Another thing that manufactures of airgun silencers do not do is to make them big enough, with the volume of air coming out of the barrel you need to capture this compressed air and hold it until the pressure drops, then let it out into the atmosphere at a slower speed. To do this you need a silencer with a large internal volume and baffles to block the high pressure.
A silencer with a internal diameter of 30mm & a length of 200mm well baffled, will have an internal volume of 140 cubic centimetres, this will silence a rifle up to 12 flb energy so that the sound of the pellet tearing paper at 15m will be louder than the gun.

Al

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Mike Lanum
Banned
I picked up the compensator on American air guns classifieds and it was a good deal. IMO the Ruger is to long to begin with and the compensator installed it just makes it look even longer. I had to remove about .040 off the barrel to get the thing to fit. I may just go ahead and remove it, cut the barrel down about an inch and re-crown. Still trying to get the ruger broke in so it might just have to wait. I have my marauders and disco to use as well as my old stand by gamo big cat. The gamo has accounted to for quit a few squirrels over the years and isn't anywhere near as loud as the ruger.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
Mike Lanum
Banned
Removed the compensator from the ruger and was checking out the crown on it. Looked rougher than a cob. Checked it out from the bore side and it looked pretty rough. Got some lapping compound and chucked up a #10 brass screw and went to work on it. Took several tries to get it nice and polished, but got it looking good. Ran a brass bore brush down the bore to clean it up and ran several cotto patches through it as well. Took it out and was shooting decent groups with the open sights at 25 yards. Shot some of those predator polymags and surprisingly they were the most accurate. I'd install the compensator on my disco, but not enough clearance to get to the fill valve.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:35 pm Reply with quote
xtpete
better easyer silencer...
a foam paint roller...
get one of those small open cell foam
paint rollers remove the foam sleeve
from the plastic centre core... put the
foam inside a silencer case so the pellet
shoots though the centre hole where the
plastic centre was...

you need to replace the foam every now & then
air blast brakes it up... 1000 shoots or so...
yer hear when it's time....

A Better Silencer 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing