Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » Multi-pumper?
Multi-pumper? 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Mentolio
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Does anyone hunt with a multi-pumper? Seems like everyone on the forums use either springers or PCPs. I saw something written by Jim Chapmen regarding a high powered, larger caliber, custom engineered pumper; but I haven't taken notice of anyone using a regular pumper out in the field. I've owned two (an old Model 1 in .22 and most recently a new Benji 397), but only one of them actually achieves velocities that are "legal to hunt with" in New Jersey (to be legal, Muzzle velocity must be higher than 600 FPS). Other than the obvious "lag time" spent pumping between shots, is there any reason not to take my 397 into the woods for squirrel? It's small size, light weight, and fairly impressive Chrony numbers have me thinking about it.
Hunting pumper 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Big Bore Bart
I use a modded 766 and a custom .22 pumper for squirrels and other small game. Here in CA, 177 is even legal for Turkey. Mr. Green The 397 is a very good small game gun and the platform has taken mucho game up to rabbit size.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:19 am Reply with quote
grizzlyadams
i use my old 397 from time to time still...works just fine on rabbits and squirrels. put it where it counts and they will drop

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
rws48
Just saw this pumper thread.
I have, or had, a .177 Benji. Can't find it right now & hope the guys doing basement repair a couple months ago didn't rip me off.
Anyway the thing is super accurate( or was ) and any non airgun rated scope will work.
If I remember correctly a 10 grn heavy pel gave me right at about 625 f.p.s.
Do you think this is adequate for squirrels?
If my Benji did disppear I'll replace it with another pumper.
What is recommended these days?
Mine was 20 years old.

About 35 powder handguns
25 powder rifles.
5 muzzle loaders.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:18 am Reply with quote
DavidSaunders
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I use pumpers exclusively, and my primary purpose for them is hunting.

There are many others that do the same. For some of us (myself included) it is our primary means of putting meat on the table.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:54 am Reply with quote
Mentolio
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ok, next question, specifically regarding the Beji 397/392: is it necessary to lube it? My old Crosman Mod1 used to require a couple drops of Pelgun oil on the fabric skirt, behind the pump piston seal, every few hundred shots or so. I read my 397 instructions, but don't recall seeing anything mentioning lubing the piston (other than the sentence that specifically said don't put oil in the little air inlet hole). Any advice on this would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
rws48
DavidSaunders wrote:

There are many others that do the same. For some of us (myself included) it is our primary means of putting meat on the table.

Dave, that is most impressive. Some a.g. discussions lead hunters to believe one needs at least 14 f.p.e. to kill a rabbit.
I know that isn't true as rabbits are easy to take.
Squirrels, however, are tough. The hide is thick and hard to penetrate and get a pel into the goodies.
Do you harvest squirrels with your pumpers and do you get good results if you need to take a chest shot. What caliber do you prefer?
I'd imagine ranges are relatively short. I don't take shots much past 20 yards mainly because it's hard to see them critter in the early season when everything is in full leaf.
Thanks for the information. Good info is priceless.

About 35 powder handguns
25 powder rifles.
5 muzzle loaders.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
DavidSaunders
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
rws48 wrote:
DavidSaunders wrote:

Dave, that is most impressive. Some a.g. discussions lead hunters to believe one needs at least 14 f.p.e. to kill a rabbit.
I know that isn't true as rabbits are easy to take.
Squirrels, however, are tough. The hide is thick and hard to penetrate and get a pel into the goodies.
Do you harvest squirrels with your pumpers and do you get good results if you need to take a chest shot. What caliber do you prefer?
I'd imagine ranges are relatively short. I don't take shots much past 20 yards mainly because it's hard to see them critter in the early season when everything is in full leaf.
Thanks for the information. Good info is priceless.

Yes I take squirrels with the pumpers. I only take head shots on any thing with fur, I know 100% that a well placed head shot is a instant kill and better safe than sorry. So I can not comment on the chest shots on squirrel.

I prefer .177 cal for Feathered.

For the small fur baring things (like chippers) I can go either .177 or .22 cal.

For everything else I prefer .22.

I use my power modded Daisy 22X for most .22 cal hunting. It is capable of up to 12FPE at the number of pumps I am comfortable with with it (9 pumps). Though I almost never use it at full power, usually 6 or 8 pumps.

Today I got my Crosman 140, so once I get good with shooting it I will be using it for hunting. Much less pumping, will likely take about 6 pumps for 12FPE, and 4 pumps for almost everything I hunt. And if I ever need to take something a bit bigger than usual I will have the extra power, at least up to 15FPE maybe more.

I use my power modded Daisy 880 with metal receiver for most of my .177 cal hunting. It will produce 10.4FPE at 10 pumps, and can be pumped safely up to 15 times (probably more) for up to 13FPE. I normally pump 4 times for small feathered, 6 times for large feahered, and 8 times for small furry. I use Wnchester Domed 9.8 Grain pellets mostly with the 880.
Crosman 2100 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:19 pm Reply with quote
rusticbob
I have used a 2100 for almost 20 years, love it, very accurate. Have been able to keep the English sparrows out of the garden with 3 or 4 pumps, 8-9 for rabbits and squirrels.
As Col.Townsend Whelen once said, ”only accurate rifles are interesting” I have been looking for a Sheridan or Bengamin 397 that is.affordable. If I don't find one, no big deal , I'll keep using the 2100
Multi-pumper? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting