Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Newbie to PCP
Newbie to PCP 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
lrp3rd
Can anybody guide me in the right direction? I am interested in purchasing a pcp pistol/rifle for practice in my basement. I am looking for the right pcp airgun and accessories needed to use it. I can not use a pump to pump up the gun so what set up would you all suggest. I presently am shooting an S&W co2 as well as a Beeman p-1. Also please ballpark the cost. Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
How powerful of a gun do you want? What is your price range? I can tell you that you're going to need a scuba tank, and some resource to fill that scuba tank, be it an outside retailer or a motorized pump.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:31 am Reply with quote
dobiman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You cannot use a pump because you are physically disabled? If you don't have a local scuba shop to refill your tank, you will have a problem then. Why not get a high quality spring air rifle like an HW50 or HW77 ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
He can buy a ShoeboxPump, can't he?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:19 am Reply with quote
lrp3rd
Yes, I am a senior that is physically unable to pump up the needed PSI with a handpump. I would like a repeater in 22 cal with approx 1000 fps. I do not like springers for I have the P-1 and it is a pain after 20 or so shots. I understand about the scuba tank for supply at home but what is another option. I want the set up to run $500 plus or minus.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:36 am Reply with quote
toadmyster223
You can pump it, you can get your scuba tank filled somewhere, or you can look up the shoebox compressor. I am afraid to tell you that I do not think you're gonna find what you want under 500 dollars. I think the Benjamin Marauder is the cheapest quality gun you can get, but you will still need a filling system.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:57 am Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
For what you are talking about, you will have to lug that scuba tank everywhere you want to shoot. Why do you want 1000 fps if you are just shooting in your basement? I can understand the repeater part, but just abou anything can be shot in a basement.

Here's what you are talking minimum:

Maurauder rifle: $467

Scuba tank: $395 new

Shoebox air compressor: $649

regular air compressor for shoebox input: $ minimum 150

adaptor kit for tank: $114.95

For a grand total of: $1775.95

THis is not all you would have to have for your setup. You may need a pony tank, You definitely would need a scope, plus minor things I may have forgotten. This is the absolute minimum mind you. If you want a nicer tank, or a better rifle the prices start going up real quick. Plus scuba tanks are heavy. If you can't handle pumping up a PCP rifle then you are going to find out the scuba tabk is really hard to handle. You can leave your scuba tank in one place and fill up your pony tank, but that's an extra 100 bucks.

THe one thing nice is, after you buy all of this stuff you can buy as many PCP pistols and rifles you want. You would nev er have to buy it again.

But you aren't going to touch anything for 500 except just the rifle. Not even a hand pump.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:09 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
I gotta admit those SCUBA tanks do get mighty expensive. I always got them a year before the 4 year checkup and got them cheap, cuz I had a reasonably cheap adress to get the checks.

I payed $ 75 for a used tank that I still have. The SCUBA-centre switched it out with the wrong valve so now I got an even better one that I still have to return. Razz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
garththomas
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
For $500.00 I got a new Bam B50 and a Hatsan pump. With it set up for me to enjoy indoors I fill to 1450psi. to get 50 shots. I paid $80.00 for a 3-9x40 scope with AO to go with it.
You could get a Disco and pump package for less and if you set it up for lower speed, and your not in a hurry, you could look at pumping as healthy exercise. Then being able to satisfy your shooting urges with a fill only to 1450 isn't that bad.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:38 am Reply with quote
donwalk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
oddtodd wrote:
For what you are talking about, you will have to lug that scuba tank everywhere you want to shoot. Why do you want 1000 fps if you are just shooting in your basement? I can understand the repeater part, but just abou anything can be shot in a basement.

Here's what you are talking minimum:

Maurauder rifle: $467

Scuba tank: $395 new

Shoebox air compressor: $649

regular air compressor for shoebox input: $ minimum 150

adaptor kit for tank: $114.95

For a grand total of: $1775.95

THis is not all you would have to have for your setup. You may need a pony tank, You definitely would need a scope, plus minor things I may have forgotten. This is the absolute minimum mind you. If you want a nicer tank, or a better rifle the prices start going up real quick. Plus scuba tanks are heavy. If you can't handle pumping up a PCP rifle then you are going to find out the scuba tabk is really hard to handle. You can leave your scuba tank in one place and fill up your pony tank, but that's an extra 100 bucks.

THe one thing nice is, after you buy all of this stuff you can buy as many PCP pistols and rifles you want. You would nev er have to buy it again.

But you aren't going to touch anything for 500 except just the rifle. Not even a hand pump.

^^^pretty well sums it up.

one of the big advantages of the PCP is most have an adjustable power feature(s)

1000 fps in a basement environment is asking for disaster IMO...ricochet is ALWAYS to be considered even with the best of pellets traps and backstops.

perhaps considering those like the Avanti 853 one pump pneumatic would meet your needs better? it's only 450 fps and accurate to the near extreme designed specifically for 10 meters.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:52 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
If we try to break this down to the most economical level possible, that is "all inclusive", it could be something like this:

Hammerli Pneuma rifle, $300.00
Used SCUBA Tank, $150.00
SCUBA Yoke and hose, $75.00
48ci HPA pony bottle for portability (re-regulated, or regulator disabled by purchaser), $90.00

Which is just under $600 not including shipping and tax.

Keeping physical issues in mind, about the only other choice would be to go with Co2, i.e. an Airmagnum 850 or the like- which would be well under $500.00

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
AirGunEric wrote:
If we try to break this down to the most economical level possible, that is "all inclusive", it could be something like this:

Hammerli Pneuma rifle, $300.00
Used SCUBA Tank, $150.00
SCUBA Yoke and hose, $75.00
48ci HPA pony bottle for portability (re-regulated, or regulator disabled by purchaser), $90.00

Which is just under $600 not including shipping and tax.

Keeping physical issues in mind, about the only other choice would be to go with Co2, i.e. an Airmagnum 850 or the like- which would be well under $500.00

But, if he can't handle a pump, what makes you think he can handle a scuba tank to move it to get filled. I like the one pump pneumatic like the avanti better.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Plasticman
I have no problem lifting my scuba tank put pumping is a real chore. It is not bad for a HIPac but any thing with much volume and 2900 psi is to much for us old guys.. I paid $200 for a used scuba toank that was just re certified.Best to buy from a shop as you wont get stuck with a tank you can't get filled.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote
lampy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The Discovery on CO2, It won't get you 1000 fps but I like mine for target shooting in the basement and CO2 isn't as loud as HPA. $260 for the rifle, $100 for a fill hose and CO2 bottle....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
Slavia
I'm with Lampy. 1000 FPS isn't necessary for a basement range, unless you have monstrous mutant mice. (10 meter target guns are often down around 500 FPS.) If physical limitations make pumping or cocking a spring uncomfortable, then a refillable CO2 system would seem the best way to go. Vendors that cater to paintballers are common enough, and the temperature effects on CO2 pressure wouldn't be a problem in a basement environment.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics