Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » BB Guns » question about lead rounds in a BB gun
question about lead rounds in a BB gun 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:09 am Reply with quote
jlwilliams
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
OK. I'm considering getting BB gun as a knock around gun. My beater airgun for the last few years has been a Quest 22. Good gun for the money. Not the quality of my R1, but that's OK for a gun I leave in the garage.

I have been thinking about a pump up repeater to use for chasing pests. A break action pellet rifle is an all or nothing deal. A pump up gives some step down for those times when less power is more apropriate. I want a repeater so I can leave it loaded. No messing with pellets in the dark or in a rush. Something my wife can pick up, pump a few times and zap an errant whatever in the rump with. I'm leaning toward a Crosman 2100.

Here's the question. Since the 2100 has a rifled barrell, I may get some .177 rounds. That way I can take advantage of the repeater magazine while still taking some advantage of the rifling. At least that's my thinking. Is that correct? Will the lead rounds be better than the slightly smaller steel BBs? The 2100 uses a magnet in the breach to hold the BBs in place. Is the bore tight enough to keep the lead rounds from rolling out the pipe?

I could just load it up with BBs, but if the added cost (about $20 per thousand) will give me better accuracy and not destroy the rifling (leaving the option of shooting pellets from time to time) I'll go for it. Since the 2100 is only about $50, I can get it, load the reservoir with a couple hundred lead rounds (with a life suply on the shelf) and lean it in the corner with no worries and still be under $75.

Anybody here run lead in a 2100? Is there a better option for what I'm thinking about?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:57 am Reply with quote
lampy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I tried the Gamo rounds in my 2100 and they wouldn't feed. I loaded them single shot to check accuracy and found them to be less accurate than pellets. I don't remember how much less accurate but it was enough that I never shot them again.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:04 am Reply with quote
jlwilliams
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's good to know.

Anybody know of a repeater that feeds the lead rounds?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
The lead rounds are not magnetic, so the magnet in the bolt of Crosman guns won't pull them out of the BB reservoir. Even spring loaded or gravity fed mechanisms often don't feed them well, since they are true bore size (and not undersized, like steel BB's).

One day without thinking I loaded lead rounds into a 760 (magnetic bolt), and had to disassemble the gun to get them out. I tried them in a P10 pistol, thinking the spring-fed magazine would solve the problem - but they were too tight and jammed the gun. On the other hand, a few minutes ago I tried them in the shot tube of a Daisy Model 99, and they fed just fine. (Same shot tube as the Model 25.)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
The problem I've had, at least with Gamo lead balls, is that they're NOT consistently sized. I use .22 lead balls to great affect, but the .177s all end up being way, way too small.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
jlwilliams wrote:
That's good to know.

I tried in a Daisy and had the same issue as the 2100. They're too big to get through the gate properly and jam up. Lead balls are bigger so they can grip the rifling.

They can be single loaded easier than a pellet in the dark though, being as there is no front and back. Just tip the barrel end down, drop them in the loading slot, and close the bolt.

They are not as accurate as pellets, but better than steel BBs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:38 am Reply with quote
teflon97239
radar wrote:
jlwilliams wrote:
That's good to know.

I tried in a Daisy and had the same issue as the 2100. They're too big to get through the gate properly and jam up. Lead balls are bigger so they can grip the rifling.

They can be single loaded easier than a pellet in the dark though, being as there is no front and back. Just tip the barrel end down, drop them in the loading slot, and close the bolt.

They are not as accurate as pellets, but better than steel BBs.

I have to agree that pellets are FAR superior to any BB for accuracy. And I'm hesitant to try lead shot for all the reasons cited above.

What helped with mine was switching from Crosman Copperhead BB's to Daisy Zinc plated steel BB's. Much more accurate. Cut my group size to less than half. I'll never use copper again.

The 4000 round flask of Daisy BB's at Walmart, Target, etc., was maybe a dollar or two more than the Copperheads and worth every extra penny.

For close-medium range mini-critter patrol, there's no law saying you can't chamber 2-3 BB's and get a bit of a "shotgun" effect. Experiment on paper with varying loads and number of pumps. You might be surprised.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:24 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
In my experience, Daisy BBs are far superior to Crosman's, and in pellets the reverse is true. I could never get a Daisy pellet to group well enough to even sight in a scope...no good chasing random holes around and around with the crosshair adjustments. The exception is Avanti match pellets that Daisy sent me for free when I emailed them a complaint about their pointed "hunting" pellet accuracy. Very nice customer service.

If you are handy and know how to safely disassemble your air rifle and modify it, it is possible that it could be modified to accept the larger lead shot. The magnet feeder would be the biggest issue, but before BB guns used magnets to hold the BBs in the chamber, they used a hair spring. You could make that out of fine music wire from a hobby shop or hardware store. The feed hole from the magazine to the chamber needs to be enlarged slightly, and polished. It is, however, doable I think...and I think I've just talked myself into my next workshop project, after the tune-up on my new Optimus .22. Very Happy

cheers
Rob

Air Gun Home Forum Index » BB Guns