Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » My Industry Brand QB78 arrived today Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Archer reported 529.83 fps. I didn't want to waste CO2 doing another pre-tune chrony at home so I'll take their word for that. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
rsterne wrote:
It's a copy of the old Crosman 160 from the 1970s I believe.... hailed as one of the best CO2 rifles ever made....

It is a copy of the Crosman 160- many parts are interchangeable between the two (and a couple bits/pieces will also fit the shorter "youth" model Crosman 180)- the Chinese really did just copy it in most ways- leaving defects and using Standard fasteners and all. Ask SMP about the sights and stock on the AR207x's- copies of German match products- and so much so they copied things, then realized something wasn't right, so they had to add extra parts (i.e. the AR scope rail) to fit their copied pieces.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
AirGunEric wrote:
Ask SMP about the sights and stock on the AR207x's- copies of German match products- and so much so they copied things, then realized something wasn't right, so they had to add extra parts (i.e. the AR scope rail) to fit their copied pieces.

Absolutely

In fact I would say the sum value of the accessories is more than the cost of the entire rifle.

The rearsight is a perfect copy of the Feinwerkbau sight first seen on the 300.

It does actually mount quite nicely on the original 11mm breach rail. After I thought about that mysterious extra rail for awhile I'm guessing that the rifle they copied had a 5mm riser block on it and they copied that too. I actually run mine without the riser block because it puts the adjustment in the center of the vertical range. Using riser blocks with target sights is the norm. They come in fixed heights of 5,8,10 and 20mm as well as fully adjustable models

Because it is such a faithful copy of the original the rear iris unscrews and allows you to use all of the standard after market irises. Such as adjustable iris size, polarisers, coloured filters, astigmatic correction....etc. None of the other budget target sights are this faithful to the European standard.

The foresight is a faithful copy of the foresight found on the FWB300 as well. It is a true M16 thread size and therefore any after market goodies such as adjustable iris's or ClearVu for the M16system (FWB/Walther) can be used. This sight could be used on any 15mm barrel as it will tighten very nicely without the driven spring pin the Chinese are using to locate the vertical.

Front sight with ClearVu

M16 tube nuts

Gehmann adjustable forsight

I myself use these ClearVu Iris's

If you have any knowledge of target stocks this one is a thing of wonder. It is a copy of an Anschutz 250xx series. It is premilled for internal stock weights and a single turret adjustable butt plate. Not a simple buttplate but a true anatomic that will adjust in more directions than your average Transformer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
thepaladin
I have a Crosman 2260 which they made up to a couple of years ago:

It's about the same rifle.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
If by "about the same" you mean it uses CO2 and it's a rifle, then you're about right....

The 2260 uses one CO2 powerlet, not 2.... the main tube is not pressurized, only the valve.... it has a mostly plastic trigger not metal.... the breech is plastic, not metal.... and the action cocks when you open the bolt rather than when you close it....

Did I forget anything?....

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
thepaladin
That it's the final incarnation of the 160 before they stopped making it and the changes you mention have to do with cost cutting?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
lasabre
A little slow, you need to bump her up a bit. If I can recall 650 fps is the sweet spot for FPE & CO2 consumption.

Thanks for posting the pics of the disassembly....brings back memories of me ripping into her and tweeking my two QB's. Did it so many times I could do it w/ my eyes closed...HA!

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
thepaladin
Yeah, I'd like to hear how it goes and how you like it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
Don't get me wrong.... I love the 2260, replace the breech with a metal one and do the 3-screw mod on the trigger and I my finger doesn't know it's plastic.... I can't for the life of me figure out why the QBs don't perform out of the box the way they should.... The Canadian ones shoot about 460-480 fps and the only difference I can see it the lower port on the flow-through bolt is smaller.... The US ones appear to be in the low 500s stock.... Heck, a 40 year old Crosman 114 shoots in the high 500s, as does a brand new 2260.... Somewhere around 580ish seems typical for CO2 rifles for the past 40 years or so....

I should clarify.... I KNOW what you have to do to a QB to get it into the high 500s.... you have to brings the ports up to about 5/32".... What I DON'T understand is why the manufacturer chose to strangle the gun in it's US form....

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I decided to make a couple more improvements. I won't mess with the valve itself, or even know how to remove it. But the screw in the bottom of the valve tube is off center, and that is holding the transfer port out of alignment with the port in the barrel. I milled out the top and bottom like you showed me and am going with a bigger tube to make a seal out of.
I also milled out aroung the screw a little so I can center the valve better.

You know what they say, if it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:55 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
radar wrote:

You know what they say, if it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Bravo, That's a statement I can relate too Laughing

On the subject of valve alignment. I used a tiny piece of brass shim under the the screw so when the screw is tightened it shoves the valve in the direction you want it to go. Aluminum can would work well also

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
^^^ That's a great idea.

Well I got it opened up and aligned within the new oversized seal. The velocity is the same as before, but at least I know its aligned-haha.

Anyway, I think I'm done fooling with it for a while...time to just enjoy shooting it. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
A small update. On a warmer day--less that 70 F, but close--I re-chronied with 14.45 gr average weight JSB Exact pellets (they are advertized as 14.3, but this time I weighed 6 and divided by 6, on a powder scale), and these were sprayed with a dry silicone lube and let to dry from the liquid carrier. I am now getting about 11.7 fpe @ an even 600 fps, 3' from the muzzle. (4 shot average, as one didn't register.)
Shot count is still around up to 40 before the big drop-off in power. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
Big Ern
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm no expert but 600fps in a .22 co2 rifle sounds real good to me. Cool

Ernesto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Yeah, that's more than enough. I just got this mostly for paper targets, but I still want a flat trajectory. I like the .22s because they don't seem to blow in the unrelenting Iowa wind as much, and I can see the holes better from the firing line. Plus I still want the option of hunting/pest control, too, where I also prefer .20 cal and up.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles