Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Real ?? ..... or ??? Goto page 1, 2  Next
Real ?? ..... or ??? 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
NZ Shooter
Suspended
Hi guys, I would like to bring up an issue that comes up alot while I surf the internet. Is it just me, or does it really annoy the living s**t out of you when people say airguns aren't "real guns" ?? Quite often I'll read somewhere that a person is selling their air rifle, to buy a "real" gun.
Like, come on, real? like air rifles are 'fake' or 'immitation' guns, without any use at all, such as a replica.
They are as real as it gets. Only with a different propulsion system to burners.
Do these same people also call an electric car "not real" ?? simply due to it's method of propulsion ??

Arrogance, I do feel.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
mod90
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You got to teach them how "real" they are. Tell them to shoot themselves in the head with a 9mm or .452 cal airgun, then let us all know how "real" it felt. Laughing If you let fools occupy your mind man, no good can come of it. Shake it off. We know what our "imitation" rifles are capable of, & as far as I'm concerned, thats all that matters.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Airhead
Personally I don't mind that most people don't think airguns are real guns, I feel it keeps the eyes off of us. The less they know the better things will stay at least here in Canada.

Benjamin Classsic
Walthers CP Sport

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Airhead wrote:
Personally I don't mind that most people don't think airguns are real guns, I feel it keeps the eyes off of us. The less they know the better things will stay at least here in Canada.

Exactly, gun rights have been falling like dominos in all the British Commonwealths. You guys need to lobby or educate for an iron-clad second amendment type thing real, flippin' soon. The pro-crimers are fearing insurrection again and working on bringing it on by pulling rights and privledges. Rant done.

NZ, no I never remember much hearing the word "real" or not as applied to airguns so I never thought much about it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
From a purely social context, people and their "real" guns are an interesting idea- and it can be annoying. But, along the same lines, how do we label a powderburner AR-15 compared to a BB gun copy shooting 380fps?

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
thepaladin
I agree across the board. it can be annoying because we "airgun enthusiasts" know our guns are "real". But I'm also glad they haven't drawn the ire of the gun controllers so much.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
Slavia
I'm sure that it will be a relief to those few on this forum that have suffered airgun injuries. Since their guns aren't real, then their discomfort must also have been imaginary.

Quote:
how do we label a powderburner AR-15 compared to a BB gun copy shooting 380fps

If you compare a .50 BMG, a 9mm parabellum, and a Daisy Red Ryder, where does the 9mm go - "real" or not? It's closer to the Daisy, so where do we draw the line? The answer is that there is no line- they're all "real." But then I'm preaching to the choir.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:36 am Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Dudes.....I live in Canada

Yes Nod It's JUST a pellet gun Yes Nod

In fact I'll say whatever warm fuzzy thing suburbian nimby's want to hear Gay Fight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:06 am Reply with quote
SureShot_ca
According to Websters this is the definition of a gun;

"1. a : a piece of ordnance usually with high muzzle velocity and comparatively flat trajectory b : a portable firearm (as a rifle or handgun) c : a device that throws a projectile "

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gun

So by this definition an air gun is a "gun", a real gun.

Crosman 3576 (0.177)
Crosman 1377 (0.177)
Elite II (0.177)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:14 am Reply with quote
BBgunNoob
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
arrogance is the epitome of Americans; hence why the world as a whole, dislikes American's.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:19 am Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
What gets me is they get little respect for hunting. "Why not just use a real gun?" Probably the same people go bragging around about their bowhunting skills, because bowhunting (and muzzle loaders too) is immensely popular with its own hunting seasons.
Makes me want to ask a bowhunter, "You spent what on that bow!!??Why not just use a gun?"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:31 am Reply with quote
thepaladin
Thank you BBgunNoob for setting such a great example for we benighted Americans...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
My guns are as real as I need them to be. I look at it like this: If an airgun can kill a starling, and do it more quietly than a powder burner, it's all to the good. I will keep my "fake" gun just as fake as I need it to be to make sure the cops don't get it on their radar. I already have a sacrificial gun to give the cops if they show up at my house. It's an old 760 that won't hold much pressure anymore. At least it will keep my 2400 safe. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
domer_pyle
BBgunNoob wrote:
arrogance is the epitome of Americans; hence why the world as a whole, dislikes American's.

I've lived in America my whole life and have been saypeopleing this since early adolescence. It really is a shame and is a bit broad of a generalization but it does hold some truth.

On the topic however, I do get tired of people asking why I spent so much on a gun and saying "yeah but it's just a pellet gun." I told my buddy to let me put one in his asscheek from the hundred yard bench and see how far it goes past his clothes. The only dumbass thing he had to say was, yeah but you know what they'll pull out? A pellet hahaha..

But I do like that airguns are under the radar. I think police are much too into everyone's business and I don't like that one bit. That and every time you turn around someone is trying to take another right away

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
NZ Shooter
Suspended
Indeed, domer. In my post entitled 'PCP law change, how to kill a sport',
I mention that exact issue. Oh to own a spud-gun... they'll be next on the chopping block when some kid takes his mates eye out Exclamation

Real ?? ..... or ??? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics