Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Power question
Power question 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
Jeremy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi Guys

I have noticed that my older pumpmaster 760 seems to shoot harder then my newer rifles ( Phantom,Quest ) for example today I was shooting at a tin soup can and noticed that while the phantom and quest did go through the can they didn't penetrate it on the other side, I can only think of the following.

- A tin soup can is not exactly a great measurement of penetrating power

- A tin soup can is smoother at the the top but the ridges in the middle offer more resistance to a pellet, and at the same time are thinner in between those ridges so depending where the pellet hits it will penetrate easier.

- Each rifle has its own preference to a certain type of pellets ( I was only firing crosman pointed pellet

And would break in on the phantom and quest have anything to do with it? they have only had a hundred or so shots each through them.

Does any of this sound right, or am I nuts ,lol

Thanks

Jeremy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Plasticman
If you have a 100 shots through the new guns they should have pretty well settled down. A crony is the only real way to test anything. Your Phantom is probably not shooting very close to the advertised FPS I know mine didn't when I got it. If you wan't to mod these guns for more power you should get a crony to keep them legal as they can be made into guns that need to be registered.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
twalter
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Plasticman wrote:
If you have a 100 shots through the new guns they should have pretty well settled down. A crony is the only real way to test anything. Your Phantom is probably not shooting very close to the advertised FPS I know mine didn't when I got it. If you wan't to mod these guns for more power you should get a crony to keep them legal as they can be made into guns that need to be registered.

I dont think this statement is necessarily true for those in the US. I saw a gamo at Dick's sporting goods the other day in .177 listed at 1500 FPS. The thing must jump and buck like a unruly bronco...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Plasticman
What I wrote only pertains to Canada not the US

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I use a 3-4 pound block of plumber's putty for approximate relative penetration and impact power tests. (And a chrony for actual fps).
The putty does not simulate animal tissue, ballistic gelatin, or whatever, at all. It is just for a comparison between two pellets or guns.

Cans are tricky. Any shot not square onto the center will act differently.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics