Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Nitro piston air rifle questions Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Nitro piston air rifle questions 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote
makenzie71
Or question, really. I held off on buying a Benjamin Nitro GP from the local wally world because the whole nitro thing had only really been out about a year at that point. Add another year...

Any common issues?
Each model different..... 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Dukemeister
some have minor issues - no major issues. Quality control is the biggest issue and if you're lucky you get a good one, unlucky and it will be crap. On average though they are fixable to excellent.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
makenzie71
Any feedback about the Benjamin Titan GP? I know it's basically a crossman model. I can't find anything about it, really...just vague likes and dislikes. Didn't seem to be very popular.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote
SureShot_ca
I haven't heard of the Benjamin Titan GP before but it looks like a pretty air rifle. Crosman & Benjamin are pretty much the same rifles but the Benjamin is more expense and I assume a better quality.

I have a Benjamin NP Trail All Weather .22 that I'm quite happy with. The manufacturer claims it's 70% less noisy as a springer but I haven't had much experience with springers. I do notice that when I shoot my NP there's no springer "sprong!" when I squeeze the trigger.

There are other advantages os an NP air rifle. They aren't affected as much by cold weather and you can leave it cocked & loaded all afternoon without damaging a spring.

Have you checked online stores for an air rifle makenzie71? I often find that you can save big bucks. I bought my Benj from D&L Airguns in BC, Canada for $250. The same air rifle listed for $399 at my local Canadian Tire.

Let us know what you buy makenzie71. We're now all interested.

Crosman 3576 (0.177)
Crosman 1377 (0.177)
Elite II (0.177)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:02 am Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Try searching Crosman titan GP

I'm not sure if they are marketed differently on the US side. but there are loads of reviews.

Slavia I believe has one and he is really happy with it.

Before you buy contact Eric at www.scopesandammo.com

He does not list the PAL rated stuff on his website but his prices are always better than ctc. And you get the added benefit of knowing someone has looked in the box and made sure the rifle is functionally OK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I have one and I really like it. It is not as quiet as they try to make it sound though. They still are pretty loud.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
twalter
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think the Benjamin Titian is merely a rebranded Crosman Titian. They almost got me with a quick impluse buy as I figured the Benjamin branded one must be better than the Crosman. If I though I could tweak it and make it better for under another 50ish dollars I might grab one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Go to the Crosman website and look at the manual section. The dates of manufacture for the Crosman Titan GP are 2010-2011, and the dates for the Benjamin Titan NP are 2011 to present. It looks to me like they're experimenting with the brand.

I like mine, but I'm still fiddling with it. It is smooth, with no twang or twist. I agree with oddtodd that the claim of a 70% noise reduction is unrealistic. It has the same awful trigger as its B18/B19 cousins. I don't regret buying it, but it still needs work.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
domer_pyle
Does the Titan also claim to be 70% more quiet? I know my XL is barely a whisper 50 yards away in the woods.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Yeah it claims to be but it ain't. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
domer_pyle
That's weird. Didn't know that.

Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure the noise reduction tests they get that number off the sound wave reading, not the actual sound. At least the test on a Marauder in an article I came across did it that way

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
makenzie71
Well I got a killer deal on one so I picked it up...just hint: look at packaging when you're in Wal-Mart. Someone had cut into this box and stolen the scope and all the accessories. As a result, I got it for 50% off.

Quiet? Varies from position to position. The noise is different than most guns. With my Beeman RS1, when I pull the trigger there is a sharp crack that issues from spring chamber. Then there's the report from the muzzle. The gun is nearly as loud as my Ruger 10/22.

The Titan, however, is built differently. You don't get the crack from the interior of the gun. That portion is pretty quiet. There's still a report from the muzzle, and it's a pretty powerful gun so it's a little louder in that area. But where you notice it the most is in a confined space. I've been shooting this gun in an open field for the most part and was pretty impressed with it's volume. I was hearing the pellet hit the target more than the gun itself. I was surprised because I usually don't give product box claims a lot of credit. I fired it once next to my house, though, where the report wasn't lost in the ether, and the noise was rather remarkable...or at least in comparison.

I don't think it's anywhere near as loud as my RS1.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
makenzie71
These are the first 50 rounds through the gun:

It's more consistent than it looks. I'm not the steadiest shot and I was doing this kneeling. My groupings on each target were still good enough to hit kill small game, which suits me. Now that I'm getting some practice, I'll improve, and I think the gun will tighten up as it breaks in.

I'm sure most of you guys actually already know, but I get a lot of questions about size and weight.

Bottom is my Titan, then my Beeman RS1, then my Savage 110 7mm Mag...the Savage is almost as big and heavy as the Titan lol, and is a couple pounds shy of the Beeman.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
twalter
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Be curious to see how well it settles down. What pellets you using at this point?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:32 am Reply with quote
makenzie71
yeah I meant to mention that, too...crosman premier hollow points. I got some good field point pellets I'll start running after I've had a couple huindred through it.
Nitro piston air rifle questions 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics